RRod

thejld

Ok well i bought an xbox and am gonna try and repair it but it is weird. Does anyone know what it is when it turns on then waits id say 30 seconds then gets the rrod? thx it has 3 rrods

gamebeatter

please follow these steps and tell me what you get

* Turn the xbox 360 on, and wait till the 3 red lights are flashing.

* Press and hold the sync up button (the small white one), while holding that button press the eject button.

* The LEDs will now blink the first number in the code (as described below).

* Release the eject button and press it again.

* The LEDs will now blink the second number of the code.

* The LEDs will now blink the third number of the code.

* The LEDs will now blink the forth number of the code.

* The LEDs will go back to the 3 red flashing lights.

You should be able to determine the difference between the 3 flashing lights and the error code lights by the rate in which they flash.

Here is how you interpret the LEDs to get the code number:

* All four lights flashing - 0

* One light flashing - 1

* Two Lights flashing - 2

* Three lights flashing - 3

modded matt

as stated above, you need to find the secondary code for the real answer to what is wrong with it. All 3red lights means is that the system has had some sort of hardware failure. could be the gpu, could be the fan, could be the HDD, could be cpu, the list goes on and on.

everyone states do the xclxamp. 3 lights do the xclamp. well this is not allways the answer. 80% of the time its over heating and needs the xclamp replaced, but alot of the time 20% its something else.

so then there is the matter of openions about should I do the xclamp to prevent RROD. my openion is no, others may say yes. but I say no. Microsoft used cheap solder, high quality thermal paste and a pure aluminum heat sink. there is nothing wrong with that for say. the problem occures when the system gets real hot, it can get so hot it will warp the mobo (we are talking fractions of mm) when this happens the cpu and gpu wont bend with the mobo, therfore the crack away from the mobo, causing......ready for this???? HARDWARE FAILURE (rrod) Rhe xclamp fix applies preassure to the chips to force them back down tight against the mobo. So is the xclamp the problem???? the answer is no. the problem is heat. keep the system cool, by keeping it clean, well ventalated, and turn it off when its idle for a while. posibly add a new fan, but thats all I would recomend.

modded matt

quote="gamebeatter"]the X-clamp does clear most general CPU and GPU codes, but the ultimate repair is a reflow[/quote]

you are joking right? I speak from experience, not from what I have read on other forums. first off the xclamp is a part not a procedure, xclamp replacement will fix most cpu and gpu codes, but the proper term you are reaching for is reball, and I assure you nobody here has the equipment necessary to perform such a task, nor does anyone here have the thousands of dollars to spend on the equipment needed to reball the gpu and/or cpu

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

modded matt said:
quote="gamebeatter"]the X-clamp does clear most general CPU and GPU codes, but the ultimate repair is a reflow

you are joking right? I speak from experience, not from what I have read on other forums. first off the xclamp is a part not a procedure, xclamp replacement will fix most cpu and gpu codes, but the proper term you are reaching for is reball, and I assure you nobody here has the equipment necessary to perform such a task, nor does anyone here have the thousands of dollars to spend on the equipment needed to reball the gpu and/or cpu[/quote]
Re flow works too...re balling just makes the joints to the motherboard stronger..a reflow is compleatly re soldering the chipsets

Krier023

Useful Poster
im not trying to start a battle but i did the xclamp fix from llamma and got the red ring fixed then jtagged it, but it still gets red ring every once in a whille. i tighten the xclamps down some more and it seems to fix it for a while, but modded matt do you have any ideas for my xbox so i dont have to keep tightening the xclamps

Fredrow

Well since I do have somewhat of an electronics background plus I'm also IPC-A-610 certified, I think I should give my 2 cents.....

Reballing is just a term for one of the steps towards fixing the BGA connections. Reballing is just like it sounds, putting new solder balls on the terminations of the BGA. And yes, you would need special equipment to do this job. But then after you reball the BGA, you would have to reflow it to make a connection onto the motherboard. Which then again would need another special piece of equipment to do.

But in most cases a person could get away with just doing a reflow on the current status of the BGA without doing a complete overhaul of reballing it. Because in most cases the problem is from either a cold solder joint, or just a stress fracture in one of the solder balls. Which a simple reflow would fix. Now with that being said, if you have reflowed the same BGA a couple times and it’s still not working then you would have to do a reball because it would most likely be a solder bridge that is causing your problems. The only way to really see that is if you are superman and have X-Ray vision or you own an X-ray machine that is used to look at the solder balls of the BGA while it is still connected to the motherboard.

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

Fredrow said:
Well since I do have somewhat of an electronics background plus I'm also IPC-A-610 certified, I think I should give my 2 cents.....

Reballing is just a term for one of the steps towards fixing the BGA connections. Reballing is just like it sounds, putting new solder balls on the terminations of the BGA. And yes, you would need special equipment to do this job. But then after you reball the BGA, you would have to reflow it to make a connection onto the motherboard. Which then again would need another special piece of equipment to do.

But in most cases a person could get away with just doing a reflow on the current status of the BGA without doing a complete overhaul of reballing it. Because in most cases the problem is from either a cold solder joint, or just a stress fracture in one of the solder balls. Which a simple reflow would fix. Now with that being said, if you have reflowed the same BGA a couple times and it’s still not working then you would have to do a reball because it would most likely be a solder bridge that is causing your problems. The only way to really see that is if you are superman and have X-Ray vision or you own an X-ray machine that is used to look at the solder balls of the BGA while it is still connected to the motherboard.
all hail fredrow cuz he is a BEAST!!!!!!......and he is superman :D....but seriously thanks for the info.