This might be be passed

Xx Binno xX

It might in the future, according to one reading of Senate Bill 978, assuming it gets passed. This is a proposed law put before the Senate about a couple months ago, but the games community just sat up and noticed once it read the language and understood the totality of its prohibitions.The proposed law is ostensibly meant to criminalize streaming copyrighted content (an act currently subjected to civil law provisions only). So S.B. 978 defines that behavior as a performance of copyrighted material, and defines a performance as "10 or more public performances by electronic means, during any 180-day period, of 1 or more copyrighted works." Do the imbeciles who wrote this language even use YouTube? Practically every user on the entire service could be covered by that.This is a lay opinion only, but if the bill becomes law and someone goes to federal pound-me-in-the-*** prison for putting Grand Theft Auto IV multiplayer on Ustream, I foresee an immediate challenge on grounds of fair use, not to mention a big argument over what a performance is—code on a video game, or the unique actions the user makes with it.Advocates for S.B.978 stress that they're just trying to "harmonize" the criminal code with the civil code. Currently only copying and distributing copyrighted works can actually get you landed in jail. Why a criminal penalty is necessary now is a rhetorical question answered with "Because the recording industry and filmmaking lobbies have given lawmakers a bunch of money to see that it happens."What's more likely is this is a tool for use in selective enforcement. A how-to guide for L.A. Noire won't get someone in trouble, but a leaked trailer will. Best of all, corporate counsel doesn't have to file the case. Just hand the matter over to the feds and they'll handle everything from investigation to the costs of trying the case. Given that we've seen takedowns of uncomplimentary videos on copyright grounds, who knows how far this will reach.Writing on his tumblr blog, Minecraft creator Markus "Notch" Persson offers that many games publishers, especially his, will include provisions in their Terms of Use that permit the use of their video games for such purposes. As well they should; walkthroughs, crazy kill cam videos, and Greeeeeeeg Jennings puttin' the team on his back for Madden, have a tremendous promotional effect that is tremendously free.While I'd like to think that everyone's overreacting a bit and that there is no way game video uploads are meant to be prosecuted, knowing how colossally ****ed-up and straight-up bribed the U.S. Congress is, the concern is understandable.(From Kotaku.com)

PS3andCOD

Contributor
lol you Americans have such stupid copyright laws.The big companies are right up in your govornment screwing you over. Here in Canada it's not even illegal to dowload stuff, it's just frowned upon. Everyone torrents music, they can't even sue us.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
lol you guys should all move to southern Canada, it's just like the states but better, and you can go back to the states any time you want because it's right there. I don't, but I could go on a day trip to the states any time I wanted, it's only an hour and a half from my house to Detroit or Buffalo.

GJUnLeAsHeD

Its all fine and good to not worry about copyrights but... Who wants to be a Canadian? I could go on about your corrupt government or your shi** health care but because i don't want to flame ill stop here ;)

Fredrow

Its all fine and good to not worry about copyrights but... Who wants to be a Canadian? I could go on about your corrupt government or your shi** health care but because i don't want to flame ill stop here ;)

Uhhhhh, yeah.... You do know that America's government is not the model Gold Star standard either; right? And I might be wrong about this too, but isn't our Health care system going to be slightly like CND Health care system?

I have said it here before that I wouldn't mind at all living in CND... **** I spent almost every weekend from the age of 17 (fake ID saying I was 19) to about the age of 20 getting hammered drunk in CND; it was awesome baby with a capital B.... Also growing up I spent a lot of time in CND because of my Father's job which had him in CND a lot working along side BC-Hydro.... If I was allowed into CND I would be up there a lot, but got into a lil' trouble and now I can't cross the boarder but at least that will only last for 1 more year..... I love CND.... The only thing I dont like about CND is that there dollar is worth just as much as the US dollar, back in the day it was only worth like 0.70 to our 1 dollar.....

odingalt

Staff member
As if the DMCA wasn't strict enough... these corporations want to lease you everything. LEASE. If you read most software agreements when you click "I AGREE", you DON'T own the software. You are given an expiring license. Again, you don't own it, you are given a license. And the license isn't infinite or lifetime. Sometimes you'll see the license is as short as 25 years! That means, technically, in the unlikely event you are still using that software in 25 years, the FBI can kick in your front door and arrest you for software piracy. Even if you paid for it. Since your license expired...

No other country in the world is as strict as the United States when it comes to intellectual property. Even though I am a business owner that sells - you guessed it - intellectual property, I disagree with nearly every singe intellectual property law we have on the books. Most of the laws were lobbied by large corporations intent on furthering their monopolies. Do NOT be fooled - the US Patent Office is not there to protect small inventors! It is there to profit greedy lawyers and protect greedy corporations from small inventors that would put them out of business.