Viking Videos!

Bedfordx

Hey Guys!!!

It's the 23rd of October today... My Birthday! :D

So I'm off to New York for a couple of days for my 18th, I have a new camcorder so? recording the Viking in action has never been easier. All I'd like from you guys is give me some ideas what do you want from my next video!? Do you want a review, a demo of wht this controller is capable of or just more tutorials on how to make certain macros. Any ideas just tell me and I'll get right on it when I'm back, Thanks

-Bedfordx

odingalt

Staff member
Did you get that for 18 bday? Happy 18th bday! I guess I won't buy you that camcorder after all :). What screen capture software do you use? I have everything I need except a decent screen capture software.

Bedfordx

Hey Odin,

Well I bought the camcorder with my own money and it cost me £100 i got a flip ultra HD camcorder which records 720p withe 1280x720 resolution. I thought I'd save you guys some money n buy it my self but thanks for the offer :)

For my computor screen cap I use Camtasia for my desktop as its really useful and very user friendly and I would highly recommend it. I don't know the exact specs but I presume it records 480p and records to the resolution of ur screen...

Finally for my xbox I use a hauppauge HD PVR it records 720p and u have to use HD component cables so u can't use a HDMI cable if running through ur Hauppauge HDPVR to record however for Xbox it can only run at 720p so imo HDMI's for xbox are a waste... Hauppage HDPVR's retail at around £180 (pound sterling) or a cheaper option is a Dazzle Platnum which is around 1/3 of the price but I believe it only records in 480p.

Hope this helps :) any Ideas for videos when I get back?

-Bedfordx

Krier023

Useful Poster
Yeah. dazzles are a lot cheaper, but hdpvrs get much better quality. Your quality mostly comes from what you do in your video editing software though. I use a dazzle and here is a quality test for halo.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkOakoPyvwA

I know not too great, but it was recorded with a 20 dollar dazzle i picked up from ebay.

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

if you want 720p-1080p(not 1080i) i would recommend the black magic intensity pro. but you really need an outrageous setup(like a gaming PC). but if you can live with 720p(you cant notice the difference on youtube anyways) then go with the Hauppauge HD PVR. the only problem with the PVR is that it doesn't work with most editing software(maybe Google what works with it?).....im getting a hauppauge for Christmas(hopefully)

odingalt

Staff member
Black Magic Intensity Pro is what I have, it does 720P but when you go to 1080 it only does 1080I (this is via the HDMI cable so the quality is pretty good, but what it doesn't do is full 1080P). By the time you do video processing and upload to youtube it's hard to tell the difference.... reason being I'm not the best at video processing, so like you say, if you don't process 1080P correctly it loses a little quality anyway.

There isn't really enough bandwidth yet on the internet for tru 1080P feeds, think about it, a blu-ray holds something like 40 gigabytes of data. Youtube only accepts up to 1gig (or is it 10 gigs now?)

Any case for the $199USD I paid for the intensity pro I'm pretty satisfied but the system requirements seem pretty stiff, I ended up buying a $3,000USD 64-pit PC to go with it :)

PS3andCOD

Contributor
A $3000 PC? That's going to be insanely powerful... You can get the best i7 processor and like 12 gigs of RAM for around 2 grand...

odingalt

Staff member
Well this was in April...

Ok, even with overnight shipping the price was $2,670.00.

-AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-core processor
-Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5 AM3 790FX motherboard (6gb/s SATA and USB 3.0, dual ethernet ports, lots o' RAID, etc.)
-G.SKILL Ripjaws series 16GB (4 x 4GB sticks) matched set
-Dual 1TB 7200RPM hard drives ('cheap' ones, they are the bottleneck on my performance)
-Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate Edition
-Sapphire Vapor-x 100281VX-2SR Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Crossfire Video Card
-Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/Silver Steel noise reducing tower case
-Cooler Master Silent Pro RSA00-AMBAJ3-US 1000W ATX power supply
-ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED 120mm low-noise blue LED CPU cooler
-Dual 24x SATA DVD burners
-Antec spotcool blue LED case fan on the hard drives

The hard drives are a bottleneck, but at the time everyone was still reporting serious problems with the solid-state drives, and I need a raid mirror because I've had over 10 hard drives fail in my life time... it's an inevitability in my book. Mirrored raid is the only way to go even though I think your performance suffers.

GJUnLeAsHeD

Krier023 said:
Yeah. dazzles are a lot cheaper, but hdpvrs get much better quality. Your quality mostly comes from what you do in your video editing software though. I use a dazzle and here is a quality test for halo.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkOakoPyvwA

I know not too great, but it was recorded with a 20 dollar dazzle i picked up from ebay.
i use a HD cap card and im getting 1080p its not quite as good but defently cheaper

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

odingalt said:

-AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-core processor
-Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5 AM3 790FX motherboard (6gb/s SATA and USB 3.0, dual ethernet ports, lots o' RAID, etc.)
-Dual 1TB 7200RPM hard drives ('cheap' ones, they are the bottleneck on my performance)
-Sapphire Vapor-x 100281VX-2SR Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Crossfire Video Card
-Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/Silver Steel noise reducing tower case

The hard drives are a bottleneck, but at the time everyone was still reporting serious problems with the solid-state drives, and I need a raid mirror because I've had over 10 hard drives fail in my life time... it's an inevitability in my book. Mirrored raid is the only way to go even though I think your performance suffers.
about those stats.....DAYUM!!!!...lol....but im getting the HD PVR because you can record whenever and it doesnt need to be connected to the PC when you do......so its like record all week and edit on the weekend.....thats the main benifit i see

Fredrow

odingalt said:

Damn...... That's the type of setup I want!!! I'm only working with
-Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
-ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
-G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
-ASUS ENGT240/DI/1GD3/A GeForce GT 240 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
-Dual LG LightScribe DVD burners
-ZALMAN 9500A-LED 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler
-1TB 7200RPM hard drive
-600W PS
-Raidmax Sagitta

I just wish wish Comcast offered straight fiber optics to the house; in the area that I live in. But they don't.... My College gets super fast internet, but it also helps that we are super close to Microsoft HQ too...

PS3andCOD

Contributor
lol that's still one of the best PC's you can buy today... I think you can get dual quad core processors on a mac for like 20 grand though. My PC is a lowly 2 Gh single core, 1 g RAM... I waste all my cash on gaming stuff.