Xbox 360 mod chip

Fredrow

Yeah, you will need some tin-foil, cardboard, some paper clips, two cans of battery acid, an avocado, some cola, a newspaper press,
and uhhhh, oh yeah the F*&K!*g Brain of Einstein.........

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

Fredrow said:
Yeah, you will need some tin-foil, cardboard, some paper clips, two cans of battery acid, an avocado, some cola, a newspaper press,
Hahahahaha!!!!

Paul

Fredrow said:

What Fredrow said. You would be better off buying one.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Fredrow said:

You forgot the powdered uranium.

Itz CHARLEY

Wow... its no wonder very few DIY gets done because there is definite a lack of user communication. no one in the right mind would THINK of building a chip unless they were doing it professionally. All im saying is the question wasn't clear and there is no reason to poke vikings tin foil and avocado(lmao) microchips in your face before the guy even makes his second sentence. Me and the jld have talked about it, and he is not tring to design his own PCB, he just wants to be able to program a chip so that it fits his needs.

odingalt

Staff member
You need to understand the hardware and software you are building. College or formal education helps most of us. Some people have 'the knack' and are able to self-teach. Myself, I needed college, it really speeds up how much I could learn.

Then you need to read through datasheets for microcontrollers and pick the one that you think is going to do the job and be able to run the software you want to write.

Then you gotta build the hardware, so you need to do PCB (printed circuit board) design using a CAD software (computer aided drafting) such as EagleCAD, Altium Designer, etc.

Then you send the PCB design to a PCB manufacturer (there are hundreds, google it), they send you a prototype, then you have to purchase all the parts to put on the PCB from places like mouser.com and digikey.com. Then you have to buy soldering equipment from a place like allspec.com. Then you have to solder all the parts onto your prototype.

Then you have to make sure your hardware works and try to connect it to your computer using the method suggested in the datasheet for that microcontroller from the company who makes the microcontroller.

Then you need to write some test software that you can load into your hardware and help you test out your PCB design and hardware and everything to make sure you didn't screw anything up during PCB design.

It's an iterative process that takes a lot of experience and time. You are much better off just purchasing a 'development kit' from www.sparkfun.com if this is your first project. Basically the 'development kit' helps you skip the difficult part of building and testing your own hardware They send you hardware that already works, with some software examples, and they send it with cables or whatever you need to hook i tup to a windows computer.

As you can see from this short description, there is no real way to answer you rquestion. If you are asking how to make a mod chip, then you do not have the skills to make a mod chip. You can't be taught how to build one and there is no easy schematic. Think of what inventors do - hours in a workshop, in the dark, hours a day working on their shit - this is how you make a mod chip. Most people are either formally educated or genius self-taught. Once you have the basic skills google can help you some, but in my opinion there's no replacement for formal education. If you're serious about a building microcontroller projects as a life hobby, you'll have to spend some serious time self-teaching or it may be best to try to go to college for it.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
odingalt said:
It's an iterative process that takes a lot of experience and time. You are much better off just purchasing a 'development kit' from http://www.sparkfun.com if this is your first project. Basically the 'development kit' helps you skip the difficult part of building and testing your own hardware They send you hardware that already works, with some software examples, and they send it with cables or whatever you need to hook i tup to a windows computer.

Would you be able to use one of those sparkfun kits to run a code that goes like "when this curcuit closes, do (blank)"?

Fredrow

PS3andCOD said:
odingalt said:
It's an iterative process that takes a lot of experience and time. You are much better off just purchasing a 'development kit' from http://www.sparkfun.com if this is your first project. Basically the 'development kit' helps you skip the difficult part of building and testing your own hardware They send you hardware that already works, with some software examples, and they send it with cables or whatever you need to hook i tup to a windows computer.

Would you be able to use one of those sparkfun kits to run a code that goes like "when this curcuit closes, do (blank)"?

You can buy books.... You can also buy a starter kit from Microchip that you could learn on too......

Itz CHARLEY said:
Wow... its no wonder very few DIY gets done because there is definite a lack of user communication. no one in the right mind would THINK of building a chip unless they were doing it professionally. All im saying is the question wasn't clear and there is no reason to poke vikings tin foil and avocado(lmao) microchips in your face before the guy even makes his second sentence. Me and the jld have talked about it, and he is not tring to design his own PCB, he just wants to be able to program a chip so that it fits his needs.

WOW...... Maybe your friend should have worded his question better!! Plus he had time to go back and change or re-word what he was trying to say..... Then maybe he would have gotten a better more precise response instead of a smart ass general response......

odingalt

Staff member
PS3andCOD said:
odingalt said:

Are you trying to figure out how to build a 'dual-boot NAND mod chip'? I feel like I've heard a similar question asked a few times and I thought it always has to do with somebody trying to dual boot their jtag'ged XBOX 360.

Depending on what the (blank) is and what exactly you mean by a circuit closing, the answer is probably yes. But I like my response from earlier in this thread best, if you are asking these kinds of questions, (no offense I'm not being a jerk, just being realistic) then you don't have the knowledge required to tackle the project.

There are some supercheap dev kits that run like $40-$45 bucks, I can tell you this for SURE: there is no way to develop a mod chip on your own for cheap. Developing these kinds of projects costs money. Whether it's just a hobby, for mass production and resale, or just a one-time project, these things can get expensive. If you're trying to do a project on your own because you think you can save money - stop now :lol: Leave it up to the mod shops, you're money ahead just buying whatever mod chips are available on the market.

These companies can produce chips at the prices they offer, because they are producing thousands at a time. The volume also helps make up for the literally thousands to tens of thousands (and in some cases, hundreds of thousands) of dollars in R&D costs to invent the thing to begin with.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Well, it's not for a dual-boot Nand chip. I want to try to make my PS3 idea myself. No mod shop has anything like I should be able to do, so I can't just leave it to someone else. I figure that if I start with a ready made chip and see if I can get it going, thenI can see about geting a custom chip. Whether or not I end up selling any (don't wory about competition if I even get that far, I only really care about PS3,and if I ever want a 360 mod, I'll just buy yours and not waste any of my time on one), it will be a victory if I have a working controller for myself. The blank, (probably should have mentioned it before, it's kind of important) would be, obviously, to press buttons, by closing other curcuits. What I mean by close a curcuit as the input, would be when a button is being pressed. I probably don't currently have all of the knowledge to to do this, but that's why I'm asking a pro if it's even possible, before I waste hours and hours learning it for myself.

odingalt

Staff member
I heard the intensafire folks are working on a PS3 mod next and it's going to be a noticeable improvement over the xbox 360 version of their flex mod. Though I don't have any confirmation of that rumor yet.

obo

Wouls just like to mention, gamestop sells rapidfire ps3 controllers for like 30 or 40 bucks

PS3andCOD

Contributor
odingalt said:
I heard the intensafire folks are working on a PS3 mod next and it's going to be a noticeable improvement over the xbox 360 version of their flex mod. Though I don't have any confirmation of that rumor yet.

I'll keep a look out for that. I just really think that the world could be acomplished with my method, that gamermodz guy all but confirmed that it would work.

obo said:
Wouls just like to mention, gamestop sells rapidfire ps3 controllers for like 30 or 40 bucks

Yeah, I know that. They seem poor quality, look uncomfortable, and only have rapidfire and no glitches.