Xbox rrod

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

ModdingBros Representative
My xbox officially kick the bucket last night. I bought a two year warranty from target now i have to mail it in and wait like 2 weeks to get my gift card to buy a new xbox. I just hope i get my gift card before the new title drops. I always seem to get the crappiest xboxs'. I have never had a xbox last longer than a year and a half and i keep my systems clean and in well ventilated areas and i dont smoke i know that damages systems as well. I just hope i don't get another lemon. this will be my 5th xbox now.

MJ23KB24

ModdingBros Leader
Dang man thats a bummer I hope you can get a working xbox soon! Hopefully that process will take less then expected.

odingalt

Staff member
I had an RROD on my white xbox that I bought about 5 years ago (the RROD happened like 2 years into the life of the console).

So far so good on the original black edition and the new slim black edition. (Sorry I can't remember the motherboard names, but the reliability has improved with each new console).

XBOX almost had a class-action lawsuit going, their failure rate was estimated up over 20% I believe on early motherboard models. They finally lowered their repair fees to help avoid nasty class-action litigation.

Krier023

Useful Poster
I repaired xboxs for a while there. Pretty much any xbox without hdmi will fail regardless of how you treat it. They are basically all xenons(first motherboard, 203w psu). The first gen hdmi xboxs were pretty bad also this was the zephyr motherboard(203w psu, hdmi). The second gen was hdmi falcon motherboards. they were pretty good. If you treated them right, they didnt usually poop out on you. I think most of the elites were falcons. Then there were the motherboards out of the arcades. some of them had internal memory 256mb, and 512. These were jaspers, and they rarely die... ever. haha. All of the slims seem to be fine as long as you dont obstruct the airflow on the side of the box.

Personally as my stock box I have a zephyr. Its my second zephyr after the first one e74'd a couple years ago. Seems to be running well, I treat it well, but the fans and dvd tray keep getting louder and louder. Seems to be on its way out.
My second xbox, which is my modded one for homebrew and such is a glossy slim (trinity) and it runs flawlessly. It does run hotter at the processor than the other boxes(homebrew temp monitoring), but that is to be expected with an integrated cpu/gpu.

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

This was a 4gb slim model. had it for almost two years. Just was a bunk system. I've done the rrod fix before replacing the heatsinks and the whole 9 and its just too much and the fail rate is high even after the fix. I have an extended warranty so im just doing the smart thing and redeeming my warranty for a new system.

Krier023

Useful Poster
Wow I'm surprised you had Problem with the slim. I've never had a problem with one. And yeah actually I wasn't ding the xclamp etc. I reflowed and reballed consoles with a professional rework machine. You are still better off getting a new console though.

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

Ya it was a real bad bunk system. Someone probably dropped it good before i bought it. even the power adapter was bad. U could hear the fan inside the power adapter just humming loud and it would get so hot it would just shut down the system right away. Then i got the dreaded rrod. I was ****ed but glade i bought a extended warrenty.

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

Just got my new system and i scored pretty good. I got a target pre paid card for $199.99. I scooped up a 250GB system for $250 that comes with forenza 4 and skyrim. I already had a 250GB hard drive for the slim so I traded it in to gamestop for $40 and put it toward a pre order of BLKOPS2 and i got a 30 percent discount on trade in to the pre order so i got $53 for the hard drive. So i got a 250GB system with controller, headset, 1 month free gold, 1 month free hula and basically 3 free games for what i paid almost 2 years ago for a 4GB slim. P.S my old 250gb slim hard drive only cost me 40$ and this was like when they first came out cause i bought it from like china and it was all formated in chinese but i just rewrote the name of the hard drive in english lol. So I just transferred the information over and gave them my old slim chinese hard drive and kept the new one : )