having trouble connecting controller

xtharp95x

when i plug in the controller i get this pop up that says found new hardware with 3 options to pic from they are locate and install drivers hardware....ask me later...dont show me this message again when i pick locate and install hardware it starts installing then says insert the disk that came with your usb hid bootloader i insert the cd wait then it doe something then it says windows was unable to install you usb bootloader.....now how do i get the controller to work on this computer......................it works on my friends computer i pluged it in then it just startes working........i cant use his computer everytime i want to add somthing to the controller can i do anything so it starts working with this labtop

odingalt

Staff member
This is not normal.

Are you on a real windows PC, and not a Macintosh running virtual windows?
Which Windows operating system do you have?
If you have Windows XP, do you at least have Service Pack 3 per our software requirements?

odingalt

Staff member
Do you have Service Pack 2? (Or at least SP1 for that matter) It sounds like you haven't plugged that laptop into the internet to get updates in a long time.

xtharp95x

yeah i have service pack 1 and 2 i dont know why it wont connect like when i plug it in it wont install the device

odingalt

Staff member
yeah i have service pack 1 and 2 i dont know why it wont connect like when i plug it in it wont install the device

Me neither because our devices are standard HID devices which are (supposed to be) universally and natively recognized by Windows. The only solution I can think of is try connecting to the internet and make sure you have all the latest windows updates or if you're feeling frisky re-install a better o/s on your hard drive than Vista because vista sucks!

xtharp95x

Me neither because our devices are standard HID devices which are (supposed to be) universally and natively recognized by Windows. The only solution I can think of is try connecting to the internet and make sure you have all the latest windows updates or if you're feeling frisky re-install a better o/s on your hard drive than Vista because vista sucks!

not to seem stupid but how do u check for updates (or u can find me a link so i dont downloading a virus)

40_ounce

To check for updates press the start button then select all programs and you should see something there that says check for updates.

xtharp95x

i did that and the controller still isnt connecting, we can talk over xbox my gamer tag is xtharp95x i think it would be better if we talked on xbox

Last edited:

modded matt

vista was just a short memory,

if you can search in the bottom of the start menu, just type windows update. or Right click on my computer and click the update tab. All windows based pc's have a built in link to the MS update server. keep checking for updates until none are found. Then I bet it will work fine

xtharp95x

if you can search in the bottom of the start menu, just type windows update. or Right click on my computer and click the update tab. All windows based pc's have a built in link to the MS update server. keep checking for updates until none are found. Then I bet it will work fine

it says that windows is up to date should i unistall the .net framework and reinstall it?

odingalt

Staff member
In this case I don't really believe it has anything to do with .net. The driver for our controllers were included as far back as Windows XP SP1. I honestly have no idea what happened with your install but "I wasn't there" and if you could find some way to uninstall that device driver completely from the device manager and start over that would be ideal. Try plugging in the device so windows recognizes it, then go to device manager, find it in the list, and competely remove it.

xtharp95x

I did that and there is no more updates and still doesn't work I have another computer in the house and its a windows xp but I can't get .net framework 3.5 to install on that computer is there anyway to fix it so I can put 3.5 on it? When I try to install the viking software on the windows xp it trys to install the 3.5 firmware and when its done its says fail to install 3.5 firmware and try to install it manually then I do that and it fails again.

odingalt

Staff member
Let me stay waay back to the beginning...

What controller do you own?
What cable are you using to plug it into your computer?
And lastly, what method are you using to put the controller into programming mode?

Now that I re-read your first post, I get the feeling you are not following the procedure for your controller and you never said which controller you are having the problems with...

Sorry this should have been the very first question I asked you before making you try to solve the problem!

RED SOX

ModdingBros Co-Leader
Let me stay waay back to the beginning...

What controller do you own?
What cable are you using to plug it into your computer?
And lastly, what method are you using to put the controller into programming mode?

Now that I re-read your first post, I get the feeling you are not following the procedure for your controller and you never said which controller you are having the problems with...

Sorry this should have been the very first question I asked you before making you try to solve the problem!
I tried helping him he has the Macro he's using the play and charge kit that comes with it and his own play and charge kit and i showed him the method to put in progamming method but his computer doesn't seem to detect the controller.

odingalt

Staff member
What I am thinking is that either he isn't hitting the START button, or, the controller is not actually going into programming mode. Then when he plugs in the PnC cable, it's trying to install the driver for the XBOX360 controller (for which there is no driver). Does this make sense?

Because if it were going into programming mode, then it would install the driver for generic HID device, and this is a device driver that's been included in every release of windows back at least to Windows 98. In other words if he is indeed hitting the START button (BEFORE plugging in the PnC, not after) it may be time to have the shop staff do a diagnosos :-(

MJ23KB24

ModdingBros Leader
He tried it on his buddies laptop though and his said that it worked with no problems. I purely blame windows vista at this point since it does go into programming mode on other computers.

odingalt

Staff member
He tried it on his buddies laptop though and his said that it worked with no problems. I purely blame windows vista at this point since it does go into programming mode on other computers.

Oh ok, if it works on one computer and not his other computer, I'm going to blame the o/s. Honestly one solution is to completely wipe the laptop and re-install the o/s. I've seen where cell phone software (palmos) has made USB peripherals stop working properly...

xtharp95x

I did that and there's no more updates I aslo did it with the other computer I hav that's an xp but I can't get the software onto the computer it says I need to 3.5 firmware but won't install when I download it