How Easy is it to Fix the RROD or E74?

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Does anyone know how easy it is to fix each of them? I've heard you can pick up a broken X-box for $20-40 and fix it within an hour. How true is this?

obo

depends how good you are at saudering
but yeah, that seems about right.
But how legit it actually works. i couldnt tell you.
I would suggest browsing google or se7ensins forums and check a little more into that.
I know mine got an e74, and i just sent it in, because it was free. so you know :D

theblur1

Its honestly not tooo difficult to fix it. I fixed my box when it had three lights.
But you cant always gaurentee that it will fix 100% of the time and if you do fix it, it will not always last forever (you can just fix it again). Also, alot of times people will try to fix the RRoD and mess up their xbox even more by putting tons of thermal paste under the GPU and CPU so they sell it on ebay. You really have to be careful when you buy it.

Heres a link to a guide on some fixes: http://xbox-experts.com/tutorial/team-h ... -released/

Oh and to fix mine i put new thermal paste under the GPU and CPU and heatgunned the HANA chips on the board.
I ended up having to cut the temperature sensor trace because it kept screwing up.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Someone I know said he got one and fixed it by puting pennies covered in thermal paste imbetween the GPU and heat sink, or something like that.

theblur1

Yeah there are a few alternate fixes the penny fix being one. You take 4 stacks of 3 pennies and cover each stack in electrical tape. There are 4 chips on the board and you put one stack on each. The success rate is much lower with this fix though

theblur1

Lol i really wouldnt be able to say..
I was going to try if heatgunning didnt work. look around for what some people had to say about it on google or something

IrishStyle

I have had a good success rate fixing E74. You can do it by taking the mobo out of the cage and taking off the heatsinks.....clean the chips until they are nice and clean....then take a Tshirt and cover everything but the CPU,GPU,Hana(Ana)chip, and the ram chips......then take your heatgun set to 400 degrees and heat all the chips evenly for 1 minute in circular motion....this preheats the board.....then crank the heatgun up to 700 degrees and heat the chips for 5 minutes.....now do not touch the mobo and let it cool for 1 hour.....then do your normal rrod fix and it will boot right up for the Win!

theblur1

LOL exactly what i did Irish!
and PS3 it would probably be easier fixing one that it has just recently happened to. But like i said you have to be careful not to get one the person has already tampered with.

IrishStyle

Well I would look for something 2007 or newer since it would have HDMI....I buy them whenever I can....because usually you will find they have an exploitable kernal after fixing :D

Edit: Yup blur its an effective fix.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Man, it seems really weird that you can fix this by simply hiting it with a heat gun... You'd never think that that would work. Wonder how the first guy figured it out?

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Which years will have exploitable kernals? I don't really care about HDMI, because I have a PS3 with HDMI anyways, and I don't even have an HD TV yet! Our TV is literaly 20 years old, and turns off by it's self sometimes.

IrishStyle

Well its hit or miss for finding exploitable kernals.....I just got an E74 today that I fixed and Jtagged and its a 4/2007 manufacture date. I find I have better luck with E74's because no one wants them so they sit around for longer.... The reason the heatgun works is because it Reballs the solder underneath the chips.....each one of those chips has about 50 or so solder balls....what happens is they crack from repeated heating and cooling.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Yah, I get why it works, but I stll wonder who thought of heat guning it. What sucks is I just struck out with a box that would be tagable, my friend had one, but only played PS3, so he didn't fix it when it got RROD about 2 years ago, but aparently he got around to it now.

theblur1

Well the point of heatgunning it is to reflow the solder balls.
Im the idea of fixing cracked solder balls could only lead to one thing which is heat. and a heatgun is really the only thing hot enough,

PS3andCOD

Contributor
I guess. It just never would have occured to me. I am definatly interested in finding a chap x-box and doing this. I saw a RROD x-box for $30 in a local classified, but it was gone already. I'd also like to j-tag it, because I'm interested in moding games, like Nazi zombies moonjump and stuff like that.

Xx Binno xX

I usually send in my x-box if its free but now my x-box has like a green screen kind of and it cost $100 to fix i got no other choice but to send it in. But that's why i have 2 x-box :lol:

theblur1

Haha i probably wouldve sent mine in but i painted it and modded my fan to make it 12v so there went my warrenty !