How Easy is it to Jtag an Xbox?

PS3andCOD

Contributor
http://woodstock.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-se ... Z194720951

I just was looking around for a canadian j-tag, and they are all expensive. They also don't usually come with cords, controllers, or even in one case a disk drive. This is a full-bundle that is j-tagable, so I was wondering is it is really hard, or is it easier than most controller mods? I would imagine that the solder points are larger. It looked like there were less wires to instal than a viking too... Which one of the choices should be easier to jtag? (20Gb or 120Gb) Any thoughts apreciated.

PS-> Blur, you might want to check it out if you want a J-tag, they are in Toronto near the airport. Actually, 99% of the canadian jtags I've seen are in Toronto.

Krier023

Useful Poster
I would hold off on the jtag until april 6th. there is a dashboard update and jtags are going to need a new version of xbr or freeboot. but its not much to say because infinity ward or whoever made the patch today totally failed. they tried to stop all jtagging, and they did for a split second, but some guy on se7ensins already came out with a patch tu5 that started xp mods again, they have stopped 4 perks 3 guns though until someone hacks that again

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Right. Wouldn't it still work offline for any game made up until now? And I should buy the hardware right away if I'm planing on it, or it could get sold or something.

Krier023

Useful Poster
Yeah you can do nearly everything offline. to be a jtaggable console it only needs to be the old dashboard. the only reason xbr would need to be updated because to boot to live you need the same dashboard as regular consoles. if your offline the whole time anything can work. If you have the money i would get it because you can do so many more things on a jtag then 10th prestige modding. you can run emulators and all kinds of stuff

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Do you think it would be worth it to buy an already modded one for $170 but have to buy memory, cables, and controller? Or is it easy enough that I can save the cash buying the entire bundle for $185?

Krier023

Useful Poster
I have not done it myself i plan on doing it as a summer project, but irish has answered a lot of my questions, and there are many tutorials on se7ensins.com about jtags

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Alright,I'll wait until irish comes on. I've been looking around 7sins and xboxscene, but I'm not really sure on things... Thanks for your help though.

IrishStyle

PS3andCOD said:
http://woodstock.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-video-games-consoles-XBOX-360-XBOX-360-JTAG-READY-FULL-BUNDLES-AVAILABLE-W0QQAdIdZ194720951

I just was looking around for a canadian j-tag, and they are all expensive. They also don't usually come with cords, controllers, or even in one case a disk drive. This is a full-bundle that is j-tagable, so I was wondering is it is really hard, or is it easier than most controller mods? I would imagine that the solder points are larger. It looked like there were less wires to instal than a viking too... Which one of the choices should be easier to jtag? (20Gb or 120Gb) Any thoughts apreciated.

PS-> Blur, you might want to check it out if you want a J-tag, they are in Toronto near the airport. Actually, 99% of the canadian jtags I've seen are in Toronto.

They are both the same when it comes to the install. It just depends on which one you want more. The Elite is not bad because it comes with the 120gb HDD. The LPT cable install is only 7 wires, and the 3 JTAG wires(these are left in). The points are much easier than the viking install. No spill paste flux will make the job alot easier. Most people get messed up with the commands and compairing the dumps. All of the jtag tuts on se7ensins will help you out alot with the project.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Thanks for the input. So you would say the software is way harder than the hardware eh? I would rather go for the non elite, cheaper, and I'll buy a 1TB external for like $90. Unless you think the elite would be significantly more reliable? ie RROD?

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Oh!!! I'm getting it now, you only have three permanent wires, and the other seven from the serial cable can be removed afterwards. Any reason to leave those in? And just a question, would you have to flash the drive to use it to rip the games to the HDD?

theblur1

Yeah i know quite a few people that are within driving distance that eith have a jtag or know how to.

I was reading tutorials on se7ensins and its alot of stuff to learn. You really have to pay attention or youll get confused.
Its definatley a hard task but it shouldnt be tooo hard

Krier023

Useful Poster
there are two ways to do it. you can rip mw2 to your hdd and use a flash drive and patch the mw2 files or you can use a transfer cable and download the iso to your hdd and patch the file on the computer then put your hdd back. ive been told that ripping mw2 with a modded drive is a better way to do it

PS3andCOD

Contributor
So you need to flash your drive to use the xbox it's self to copy the game onto the HDD? I would probably use an external drive, it is a jtag after all.

IrishStyle

PS3andCOD said:
Oh!!! I'm getting it now, you only have three permanent wires, and the other seven from the serial cable can be removed afterwards. Any reason to leave those in? And just a question, would you have to flash the drive to use it to rip the games to the HDD?

Some people like myself mount a LPT port or rj45 on the xbox and leave those wires connected on Xenon's. This is just so I can access the nand to swap out KV's or even update XBR when a new version is out. I know all of this can be done through a USB pen drive on the XBOX but I am old school(If there is such a thing lol) and like the cable better.

As for getting games on your HDD, the most user friendly is to rip it through the DVD drive. You can also use other programs like XBOX image browser and XPORT to get them on there and bypass the Drive. There is alot more steps involved this way though. If you do flash the DVD drive you can put either backups or rented games in and rip them to the HDD, which makes it very nice to have.

IrishStyle

Honestly I am not sure about that, and don't have a way to test that. I would think it would, since the reason for flashing the drive is so it can read backups. Good question though, if you find an answer let us know.

Krier023

Useful Poster
yeah keep us updated ps3 because my friends got a rrod and im looking to fix it and jtag it as a summer project

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Well, I want to try it, but I'm 16 so it kinda hinges on my mom. She might decide it's showing some "initiative" and go along with it...