just bought the chip kit and i need a question answered

x CHAVES x

hey whats up i bought a self install chip but there was no wires that came with it so im wondering what guage wire should i use for its optimum performance

x CHAVES x

thanks. do you know what size drill bit to drill the hole i need for the tactile and jack???? and where is the best spot to put it??

obo

i think there was a topic on this a little bit ago, just search around the forums, and you should be able to find it

x CHAVES x

oh alrite sick thanks, do you have a preference on where to put them?? im new to using the tactile switches and the jack so yeah

x CHAVES x

oh also where is the best spot to put the chip so it doesnt like get in the way and its doesnt take millions of miles of wire to get from point a to b

IrishStyle

I usually put them on the underside of controller where your middle fingers rest. If you look on the bottom shell of a dissassembled controller on the inside, there are 2 small marks from manufacturing. Like from the mold. Fredrow add's them to the front of the controller like shown here http://www.east-seattle-electronics.com ... llers.html Its really personal preference on where you like best.

x CHAVES x

cool thanks. do you usually put the chip where the battery pack is located the top area where it has the microsoft logo inside the controller

x CHAVES x

ok ive wired everything but its a total disaster. when i power on th econtroller the led light that indicates the chip is on doesnt go on so presumably the chip isnt on. when ever i use it ill press a but it jumps and switche my weapon. is there someone who i can just send my controller in to to fix it??

IrishStyle

x CHAVES x said:
ok ive wired everything but its a total disaster. when i power on th econtroller the led light that indicates the chip is on doesnt go on so presumably the chip isnt on. when ever i use it ill press a but it jumps and switche my weapon. is there someone who i can just send my controller in to to fix it??

I would first recommend Fredrow if you are in the US fredrow425@east-seattle-electronics.com. Ben if you are from the UK. If Fredrow doesn't want to finish the install shoot me a PM.

geestthebeast

I notice fredrow started to sell these, on a scale of 1-10 for a novice, how difficult would the full mod for a hammer be, 1 being easy, 10 being hardest. ive done some mods with PIC chips from brianspdr.com and rapidfiremods.com, and one from gamermodz.com, but how hard is the viking mod kit installation? And where can i get another torx 8 screwdriver? i seem to have lost mine, do you think home depot, or Lowe's would have a torx 8?

Paul

geestthebeast said:
I notice fredrow started to sell these, on a scale of 1-10 for a novice, how difficult would the full mod for a hammer be, 1 being easy, 10 being hardest. ive done some mods with PIC chips from brianspdr.com and rapidfiremods.com, and one from gamermodz.com, but how hard is the viking mod kit installation? And where can i get another torx 8 screwdriver? i seem to have lost mine, do you think home depot, or Lowe's would have a torx 8?
Acidmods rated it an 8 in difficulty.

geestthebeast

I think im gunna go for it, i have a 13 watt soldering iron, so it should be safer and easier to use, that way i don't burn anything out, and i can buy some 30 gauge wire and i allready have rosin core solder. Plus radio shack will sell red tactical switches, that way i know how it works, and i know what to do when i want to possibly put on an xcm shell. another problem might be the 3.5 mm jack, do i have to do that? or can i do the pnc port? And does anyone have instructions to this now?

Fredrow

geestthebeast said:
I think im gunna go for it, i have a 13 watt soldering iron, so it should be safer and easier to use, that way i don't burn anything out, and i can buy some 30 gauge wire and i allready have rosin core solder. Plus radio shack will sell red tactical switches, that way i know how it works, and i know what to do when i want to possibly put on an xcm shell. another problem might be the 3.5 mm jack, do i have to do that? or can i do the pnc port? And does anyone have instructions to this now?

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but a 13-watt iron is not going to get the job done......

geestthebeast

I have used it several times, it worked really well every time, ive done 3 controller with it, and some smaller electronics for friends. I have a 25 watt but it seems to burn up too much and ruin the work.

Paul

geestthebeast said:

You can find instructions in the DIY section.

Don't buy wire from Radioshack.

I believe the mod kit comes with two tactical switches, not sure.

You can do either option.

IrishStyle

geestthebeast said:
another problem might be the 3.5 mm jack, do i have to do that? or can i do the pnc port? And does anyone have instructions to this now?

You can use the PNC option but the 3.5mm jack is far superior IMO. You loose the ability to play and charge the controller while playing, but it still works to charge it when you are not playing. Here are links to the install instructions.

CG Install Instructions
CG2 Install Instructions

geestthebeast

Thanks Irish, but why not get wire from raioshack? i don't think anyone else sells it. I could check Lowes and Home Depot, but those are the only places that would really carry wire that small.

Before i order it i have some more questions, do i have to solder to the traces, or can i just solder to the point? ive soldered to traces before, but its kinda hard, id avoid it if possible. Thanks. And does anyone know of a tutorial on swaping out the LED ring?