leds

Krier023

Useful Poster
anyone know a place to get leds for cheap? i bought a set off ebay and realized that they really arent that hard to put in

Krier023

Useful Poster
i was talking about controller leds but yeah i know you can get them for like 20 cents somewhere im just not sure where

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Yeah, the source (you probably call it radio shack, but the name changed here a couple years ago) charges like a dollar each. It's just a little light... Or how about the switches? Little switches like they use on dollar store toys $2.50 each. It's cheaper to buy stuff at the dollar store and tear them apart for peices.

Krier023

Useful Poster
thanks but there are so many choices which one should i pick. theres hi effect,380mcd, 500mcd, 800mcd

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Irish, what sort of LED's would be best for inside of a cut-out window? Are they just the LED's like you'd get at radioshack, or some sort of high power ones?

IrishStyle

Krier023 said:
thanks but there are so many choices which one should i pick. theres hi effect,380mcd, 500mcd, 800mcd

Look at the foward voltage. You don't want anything higher than 3V.

PS3andCOD said:
Irish, what sort of LED's would be best for inside of a cut-out window? Are they just the LED's like you'd get at radioshack, or some sort of high power ones?

http://www.unique-leds.com/index.php?ta ... ct_id=1618 something like these. I have seen these up to 10,000MCD. You can run quite a few of these.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Alright, I'm just going to go to wikipedia to find out exactly what a candela is. I asumed it was something like candle power...

PS3andCOD

Contributor
OK, aparently a candle puts out one candela, and therefor a candle power and a candela are the same amount of light. I think. What ever, I now know that for every 1000 of the MCD rating, it's as bright as a candle.

IrishStyle

PS3andCOD said:
Do you think these would be good? http://cgi.ebay.ca/100x-BRIGHT-LED-5mm- ... 335bbff045 I want red and blue for sure, so this pack has them... How many of those should I be able to run without any problems? I plan on having them both on switches, so one color would be on at a time.

Those are ok for what you want. I have run like 8 or so of these type with no problems. Just figure out where you want them and how many, then use a LED calculator to figure out your resistors.

SCIFIMAN55

Does anyone have any tips on removing the old green leds from the controller? This is a CG2 controller and it seems like there are glued in. :p

Itz CHARLEY

just
SCIFIMAN55 said:
Does anyone have any tips on removing the old green leds from the controller? This is a CG2 controller and it seems like there are glued in. :p
Melt some solder on the tip of your iron so that there is a bubble large enough to encompass the led. Then drag the bubble from one side of the led to the other ans it should come right off. Dont try to pull it off with tweezers. Thats a bad idea.

Krier023

Useful Poster
Just get your soldering iron nice and hot, then put a bit of solder on it and put a little bit of pressure on all 4 sides. it might take a while, but never force it because you will rip the solder pads off