Little help installing raven

IrishStyle

You need a good flux like MG Chemicals Rosin Flux. Flux is a deoxidizer that allows a clean bond between the copper and solder.

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

IrishStyle said:
You need a good flux like MG Chemicals Rosin Flux. Flux is a deoxidizer that allows a clean bond between the copper and solder.
you can get solder with a rosin core(flux inside) too. i think thats better and easier than applying flux before soldering. personal preference.

Ben

Solder with Flux in isn't the best, I have a tub of flux here and just dab the tiniest bit on the scraped trace add some solder and then clean up.

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

Ben. said:
Solder with Flux in isn't the best, I have a tub of flux here and just dab the tiniest bit on the scraped trace add some solder and then clean up.
thats why i like the rosin cored solder it applies the same amount of flux as solder and you really dont need to worry about cleaning up.

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

Fredrow

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW said:
its mostly personal preference too. ;) go with what you like

Sorry dude, it's more than just "Personal Preference"...... A lot of the time you will still need to apply flux to the areas you plan on de-soldering, or soldering too...... And yes this goes for if you are using rosin cored solder or not.

modded matt

as fred said this is much more than personal prefrence, go buy a tub of flux paste.

90% of you are not soldering correctly in the first place, its common. allthough you get the job done and it looks good and works, your skills are flawed. I am sure 90% of you guys apply solder to the tip of your iron and then apply that to the work piece. although this works, it is not technically correct. when you melt the solder to the tip of your iron, the rosin/flux melts and disipates at a lower temp then the solder does, therfore in the seconds it takes to move the tip of your iron to the work piece, the flux has burned away. that is where the small bit of smoke comes from when melting the solder (pure solder wont smoke) you are supposed to apply solder to the work piece at the same time you are applying the heat. this takes two hands and leaves nothing to hold the work piece.

Xx Binno xX

Mod Matt you have too touch the iron to where you need to solder then apply the solder to the opposite side that needs soldering. that's the way i do it anyways.
Do i apply the flux to the board then apply the solder to the flux or put the flux on the iron then touch it to the spot i need soldering and apply the solder?