Little help installing raven

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

modded matt said:
as fred said this is much more than personal prefrence, go buy a tub of flux paste.

90% of you are not soldering correctly in the first place, its common. allthough you get the job done and it looks good and works, your skills are flawed. I am sure 90% of you guys apply solder to the tip of your iron and then apply that to the work piece. although this works, it is not technically correct. when you melt the solder to the tip of your iron, the rosin/flux melts and disipates at a lower temp then the solder does, therfore in the seconds it takes to move the tip of your iron to the work piece, the flux has burned away. that is where the small bit of smoke comes from when melting the solder (pure solder wont smoke) you are supposed to apply solder to the work piece at the same time you are applying the heat. this takes two hands and leaves nothing to hold the work piece.
this way also looks really crappy also

modded matt

XxbinnoxX said:
Mod Matt you have too touch the iron to where you need to solder then apply the solder to the opposite side that needs soldering. that's the way i do it anyways.
Do i apply the flux to the board then apply the solder to the flux or put the flux on the iron then touch it to the spot i need soldering and apply the solder?

then you are doing it corectly.

as for the flux, apply a small bit to the terminal, and a small bit to the wire, if you apply it to the iron it will just burn away instantly.

Fredrow

Well you also put a little solder on the iron right before you apply the iron to the landing followed by your solder to the landing.

Also makes sure you are keeping your tip clean, there is nothing worse than a dirty, corroded tip!!! You will not believe how much time I spent at my school bitching at the lower class-men because they screw up the tips on the irons in the ELEC Lab. Those stupid kids would leave the iron on and just sitting there with no solder on the iron while it sits in holder. The funniest thing about it is, during the 2nd quarter at our college we have to take this IPC class that teaches us about soldering and how to take care of the soldering iron along with a whole bunch of other do's and dont's concerning industry's standards in the Electronics world. Stupid kids never learn, and it really pisses me off!!! hahaha....... But I love yelling at the little punks for ruining the tips on the iron's.....

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

Fredrow said:
Well you also put a little solder on the iron right before you apply the iron to the landing followed by your solder to the landing.

Also makes sure you are keeping your tip clean, there is nothing worse than a dirty, corroded tip!!! You will not believe how much time I spent at my school complain at the lower class-men because they screw up the tips on the irons in the ELEC Lab. Those stupid kids would leave the iron on and just sitting there with no solder on the iron while it sits in holder. The funniest thing about it is, during the 2nd quarter at our college we have to take this IPC class that teaches us about soldering and how to take care of the soldering iron along with a whole bunch of other do's and dont's concerning industry's standards in the Electronics world. Stupid kids never learn, and it really pisses me off!!! hahaha....... But I love yelling at the little punks for ruining the tips on the iron's.....
same thing happed in my electrotech class........soldering irons that didnt even melt the solder....i got a D wile all the 35 other dumbasses failed.....LOL.

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

XxbinnoxX said:
I do that but how much should i put and when i go to solder the wire to the board it don't stick.
flux isnt a "sticking" agent it is ment to clean the surface of where your about to solder of impurities(I.E hand oils grease).

Fredrow

Yeah nice answer M1A1, but I don’t think Binno was saying that he is trying to use the flux like a glue. I believe that you just mistaken what he said, but that's just what I think...

Now Binno, I believe I know what your problem maybe; it's either one of two things. First one being that you haven’t scraped away enough of the green solder mask. Or two, you have scraped away too much of the solder mask and ended up scraping away the copper trace underneath the solder mask; which by doing this you have damaged the board and then you would need to run a new jumper wire to repair the trace you may have damaged.

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

Fredrow said:
Yeah nice answer M1A1, but I don’t think Binno was saying that he is trying to use the flux like a glue. I believe that you just mistaken what he said, but that's just what I think...

Now Binno, I believe I know what your problem maybe; it's either one of two things. First one being that you haven’t scraped away enough of the green solder mask. Or two, you have scraped away too much of the solder mask and ended up scraping away the copper trace underneath the solder mask; which by doing this you have damaged the board and then you would need to run a new jumper wire to repair the trace you may have damaged.
oh poop(self pooped lol) i thought he was talking about the flux itself.......hey fredrow in your elec class did you reuse the boards?.....the boards i was using had been resoldered so many times it was almost impossible to solder to.

Fredrow

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW said:
Fredrow said:

oh poop(self pooped lol) i thought he was talking about the flux itself.......hey fredrow in your elec class did you reuse the boards?.....the boards i was using had been resoldered so many times it was almost impossible to solder to.

No we didn’t reuse any boards. For every project we did over the past 2 years we had to go out and buy new proto boards. Well at the beginning of each quarter our instructor gave us a nice list of parts we had to order, so it made it kind of easy on not having to search all over the place looking for parts. But I remember when I first started my first quarter of the program; I had the hardest time looking for parts on digi-key I got so lost go through their web-site just because I didn’t know what the hell I was looking for.