Should Viking360 bring back Legacy XBOX 360 controllers?

Should Viking360 bring back Legacy XBOX 360 controllers?

• No. Legacy sucks. vs Macro, and I would never buy one. Macro all the way!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I don't know enough about the Legacy Controllers to be able to make an informed vote on this.

I think I read that you used to sell chips for the Legacy Controllers and if that was the case I would be all for it. I was a Radio Tech in the Marine Corps and I am looking to hone my electronics experience again (and micro-min soldering) and want to work on a controller project.

If you could post a little info or point me in the right direction to get it on the website then I will cast my vote here.

NYjetsNY1

100% Yes.

They were amazing. They weren't complex enough that it took a genius to use, not that macros do - but that is the common thought. People see it and they are like woah, too complicated I just want rapid-fire. They don't understand the macro controller. I think the macro controller should stay and be a big premium, but yes legacies were and are still fantastic. They should be brought back, as well as the customizations that people LOVE.

Ok so I did some research on the website and through some Youtube videos and I vote yes.

Some people do not have the technical aptitude (or desire) to mess with a macro controller. Bringing back the legacy controllers would give you a much broader target market and allow you to compete with other manufacturers that cater to a lower cost crowed.

I am not sure how much the old controllers cost, but if you were able to have a few tiers of pricing, then I think you could easily bring more people to the website and increase overall profits (depending on how much labor and training is involved in installing the older chips).

Also, as I mentioned before if you started selling just the chips again then I would certainly buy a few right now. I am trying to hone my electrical skills again and I am having a hard time finding some projects that I could actually use. I would hate to go with some other companies lesser chip.

Sgt Jax Mehoff

Useful Poster
im getting one of your macro controllers soon because i finally got a job and got some money, but on the other hand the legacy controllers would be a good reduced price controller for people who dont need all the fancy macros and recording/playback. if you brought it back i would end up getting a tyr's hand for my dad. like NyJetsNy1 said some people are not interested in all the extra's.

but like i said i definately am going to buy macro controller so please dont get rid of them.

GJUnLeAsHeD

Would this replace the macro mini ?? and i think this is a great idea i have a macro and love it to death but my friend who is looking 4 a controller inst willing to spend over $150 this would reach out to pplz who dont have the cash.

odingalt

Staff member
I'm just grasping at straws here. I feel like even if we got the macro controller price way down, there still might be some customers that prefer a good old fashioned simple modded controller (with USB of course). I can't fathom selling something without USB on it.

NYjetsNY1

odingalt said:
I'm just grasping at straws here. I feel like even if we got the macro controller price way down, there still might be some customers that prefer a good old fashioned simple modded controller (with USB of course). I can't fathom selling something without USB on it.

Needs
-Easy rapid-fire
-Dropshot

Wants:
-USB
-Customization

Customers think like that ^. The macro is just a super-extra which only a few customers really actually want and utilize to the full potential.

For me it is very simple, but for others the macro is just too complex. They want just a simple rapid-fire that is the "UbER FASTESTZ MODSZ"

Now, the viking is this (since we can use humanized rapid-fire and set things to everyone's sensitivities). Just too complex.

Bring back legacies.

Tyr's hand --> Thors --> Raven --> Macro

FPSRyan

I hope legacy controllers come back. I have been wanting to buy a viking 360 controller, but the prices of the macro controllers are just way too expensive.

obo

I am going to personally vote no on this one.

At this point in time, I just don't think it would be economically smart to bring back the legacy controllers.

The Odin's raven was priced the same, if not more than what the current cheapest macro controller is. I'm assuming that you want to introduce the legacy controllers for purely economic reasons. If somebody is going to buy a viking360 controller, they've already accepted that they're going to be spending a large sum of money. In order for people to want a legacy controller over a macro, the legacy controller would need cost significantly less than whatever you have the macro controllers priced at.

I feel like you won't be able to price the legacy controllers at a point that's low enough for consumer interest without virtually eliminating your profit.

Another thing that could be a problem is customer service. Viking has always been a company that prides itself on customer service. With the return of the legacy controllers, I feel like more customer service would be needed. This costs extra money as well =/

Lastly, the time that goes into creating macro's for the legacy controllers would need to drastically increase in order for people to want to buy them. At this point in time, the macro library massively overpowers the legacy hex editor. The time spent creating these macro's would once again, cost a lot of money =/

I would love to see the return of the legacy controllers, but I just don't see it as being a smart business decision. Of course these are just my opinions, and I'll bet that you have a lot more economic experience than I do, but I just thought I would share my opinion on the matter.

odingalt

Staff member
NYjetsNY1 said:
NEpatsNE1 said:
whats the estimated price of the raven if you bring it back? just wondering.

Good question! Wondering myself.

Odin's Raven was priced starting at $179 for the longest time. Macro controller, in all its awesomeness and superior glory, is now actually cheaper than the Odin's Raven. As you can imagine our profit margin on the macro controller is zilch compared to the Odin's Raven. The modchip for the macro controller alone costs $30 more to make than the old Viking modchip, let alone the labor to install six tac switches and a tri-color LED add-on board.

obo

odingalt said:
NYjetsNY1 said:
NEpatsNE1 said:
whats the estimated price of the raven if you bring it back? just wondering.

Good question! Wondering myself.

Odin's Raven was priced starting at $179 for the longest time. Macro controller, in all its awesomeness and superior glory, is now actually cheaper than the Odin's Raven. As you can imagine our profit margin on the macro controller is zilch compared to the Odin's Raven. The modchip for the macro controller alone costs $30 more to make than the old Viking modchip, let alone the labor to install six tac switches and a tri-color LED add-on board.

This is the main problem that I'm seeing, without raising the price of the macro controller again, I just can't see the legacy controllers being sold profitably, while still being looked at as an economic option.

obo

modded matt said:
forget the price, the legacy chips were more user friendly. not to mention the DIY market.
If the chips were to exclusively be sold as diy kits, I think that it would be a great idea to bring them back.

odingalt

Staff member
obo said:
modded matt said:
forget the price, the legacy chips were more user friendly. not to mention the DIY market.
If the chips were to exclusively be sold as diy kits, I think that it would be a great idea to bring them back.

Hmmm interesting. Do you think even if I just sold the old plain purple chips without designing anything new that THOSE would still sell? :D

Fredrow

odingalt said:
obo said:
modded matt said:

Hmmm interesting. Do you think even if I just sold the old plain purple chips without designing anything new that THOSE would still sell? :D

E' I get at least 5 emails a week of people just asking for any DIY kits in the legacy kits.... Now I know that isn't a whole lot of people, but to still have people asking for DIY kits is kind of a sign! I haven't advertised selling DIY kits for awhile now and the rapid-fire junkies are still on the hunt/blowing me up looking for DIY kits....

@OBO: Not really sure why your thinking the legacy boards would be a bad move. Why do you think McDonald's always brings back the McRibb? I can tell you that it's NOT because it taste like $h!t.....
:eek: .... :mrgreen:

I know and we all know that the price on the legacy controllers would have to be way less than what they use to sell for, but that doesn't translate into being a bad idea to bring them back.

Just remember that
Macro controller = Grey Goose
Raven = Smirnoff
Hammer&Hand = 3 Star

obo

I think you're misunderstanding me Fredrow buddy. I don't think bringing them back would be a bad decision entirely. If they were to be brought back though, either the Macro controller prices would need to go back up, or they would need to be sold as DIY kits.

I should clarify that I would love the legacy controllers to come back as a product(I still <3 my raven), I am just casting my opinion from a purely economic perspective.

This is just my opinion, and obviously E knows his production costs better than I do, so by all means don't consider my opinion law :D