Theoretical PS3 instalation

PS3andCOD

Contributor
I am trying to figure out how to hook this chip up to PS3 (theoreticaly, I don't actually have a chip), and I have a few questions: What buttons can the chip sense being pushed? PS3 has 3 common lines, how would that affect the chip? If anyone knows the answers, that would be great.

Blackburn

you would need about........ 10 transistors and some resistors and bunch of other stuff. and viking would still probably throw a fit with the test code

odingalt

Staff member
hahahahaha

Yeah, if the PS3 controller is anything like the matrix controllers for xbox, I don't think I'll ever get around to figuring out the PS3 rapidfire. I never put transistors on my board :-( Was too focused on trying to fit the durned chip inside the 360 controller

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Oh. What if it was installed only to the right side? That would include all the face buttons and R1 and R2. They all have the same common line. As far as I can see, only sniper mode uses any buttons other than that.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
What if you got a whole new chip with the 3 common line slots? I have no idea how much work that would be, so don't let it bother you if that's unfeasable because of the work you would need to put into it. Would it work on a third party PS3 controller? I have seen a PS3 controller that is a 360 controller clone, maybe it is simular inside too.

Blackburn

PS3andCOD said:
What if you got a whole new chip with the 3 common line slots? I have no idea how much work that would be, so don't let it bother you if that's unfeasable because of the work you would need to put into it. Would it work on a third party PS3 controller? I have seen a PS3 controller that is a 360 controller clone, maybe it is simular inside too.
no all the PS3 controllers use the COM setup or something similar to matrix. and yes while it would be possible a completely new set of codes would have to be designed to support it as well as a new chip design etc. also installation would be a pain due to there being SO many different motherboard revisions (i think they are on rev #6 or something like that now)

PS3andCOD

Contributor
X-box scene has pictures for 5 or 6 PS3 boards, so that solves the instalation problem, but I can see that the code would need to be altered to send to the different commons. I don't know how much work that would be.

Blackburn

PS3andCOD said:
X-box scene has pictures for 5 or 6 PS3 boards, so that solves the installation problem, but I can see that the code would need to be altered to send to the different commons. I don't know how much work that would be.
i realize that XbS hsa the images, ive modded my fair share of PS3 controllers, as I own a PS3 as well. To install viking it would require a tremendous amount off effort, not to mentions the R1,R2 and L1, L2 require resistors between the COM lines to receive the correct input, etc. the hardest thing wiuld be getting viking to detect hent eh buttons or triggers are being pulled as it is expecting a GND signal sent back to the micro controller, while the PS3 uses a Data line instead of just a "Common Ground". Therefore making it close to impossible to do without making a SECOND microcontroller to handle the inputs when then goes to viking with COMs converted to GNDs. Which by then you could just make a while new rapidfire chip.

I hope this helps sum it up a little bit.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Oh. Well at least I have hope! Seriously think about adding it to the to-do list though, PS3 sales are going through the roof with the release of the slim version, and if you had a chip simular to the 360 chip, it would blow anything else out of the water! I havn't been able to find a decent rapidfire chip in 4 months of searching, and certainly not one as good as yours! Seriously, how much cash are we talking about here? I'd think about investing in you to help cover it, if that would help.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
I just had a great idea! The PS3 addaptor chip, just all the required transistors on a chip. Would look something like this, excusing the terrible "paint" job. The dots are the transistors and all words but IN and OUT are solder points on the chip. The lines are internal wires (on the chip) other than the circles around IN and OUT.

odingalt

Staff member
I am shooting in the dark here, I think this 'adapter' board would just have quad bi-lateral switches from like radio shack (well at least they USED to stock them, this was a long time ago).

Why not go all-out and develop something like intensafire, for the PS3?

I think this will be my New Year's Resolution project, starting this in January. Really have my hands full, but I think it would be fun to branch out into PS3 especially considering it appears to be a 'matrix' style controller.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Sweet! Make sure I am the first one to get this! I am so glad you decided to give it a go. I am ready and willing to test as soon as you have a chip and some basic code (say straight up call of duty rapid fire? that is the most popular PS3 game). I have a sixaxis controller, and if it works properly my brothers will probably let me do theirs, a dualshok and a different model sixaxis (I am sure that they are different models because the cases have changed slightly).

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Wow, I had never even seen that intensaFIRE before! When I looked it up to see what it was, I saw that they have a PS3 version planed, but I would really prefer yours anyway, because I don't care about just snapping it in like that, I want to be able to have rapidfire on every button, and all the glitches and stuff. The reload glitch works on PS3 too, it's probably even the same timing. That chip can only do basic rapidfire, nothing awsome like yours. Also, the upgradeability is definatly a plus, especially since you can just switch the programing for a different game.

haVOC1787

I have an older chips from viking from a controller that died. If you can give me the resister sizes and solder points on the controller I will see about making one and testing it.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
I found the TRANSISTOR (not resistor) in a guid on how to make a rapide fire controller with a timer, it just said NPN transistor. In the guide anyway, the middle of the transistor went to the timer, and the other 2 went to R1 and R common.

haVOC1787

yes i knew about the npn transister. It is needed and can be bought at radioshack. Consolecustoms.net has an 8pin 12f683 chip it uses in the ps3 controllers but there are like 4 different models of boards. Check consoles website and look at their tutorials. It can be done with very few resistors to no resistors depending on the programing.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Oh, I have no idea what sort of resistors you need, just that each button installed is gonna need a transistor. I'm not even sure if you need any resistors at all. If the viking chip runs at 3 v, maybe you need a resistor to make PS3's 3.7v int 3v, but I'm not really sure.

Blackburn

you need transistors and 2 resistors.

heres a reference
buttgridlarge_engadget_howto.jpg

resistors are 4.7k Ohms