[E-S-E]Razer Onza Tournament Edition Controller---(MOD)

Fredrow

Yup, Yup, Yup!!!!!! Ge, Ge, Geeeaaahhhh doggy!!!!!

Here it is,

The Razer Onza Tournament Edition Controller

odzt3.jpg

vQ8CZ.jpg

fOiiM.jpg

I haven't used the controller yet, but my thoughts after just having it in my hands are "This fvcking thing is going to kick some major phatty booty"
The controller has a nice rubber like texture to it, I think its that sweat resistance type material; whatever it is it feels great, nice grip to it.
I'm also super psyched to test out the adjustable resistance thumbsticks. You can adjust the resistance of the sticks on the fly (for those who are confused about this, it makes it so you can make your sticks stiff or loose feeling, for better controller during game play)
I also read somewhere that your able to re-map the buttons somehow. I'm not 100% sure about this (button re-mapping) if it even works or not, or how it works; but it sounded kind of cool....

You know life is going good when girls are buying you hella dope gaming controllers!!!!!.....
:eek: (bust-out dat "O" face)...... :lol: :mrgreen:

GJUnLeAsHeD

Re: My new Toy!!!!!!

Fredrow said:
Yup, Yup, Yup!!!!!! Ge, Ge, Geeeaaahhhh doggy!!!!!

Here it is,

The Razer Onza Tournament Edition Controller

odzt3.jpg

vQ8CZ.jpg

fOiiM.jpg

I haven't used the controller yet, but my thoughts after just having it in my hands are "This fvcking thing is going to kick some major phatty booty"
The controller has a nice rubber like texture to it, I think its that sweat resistance type material; whatever it is it feels great, nice grip to it.
I'm also super psyched to test out the adjustable resistance thumbsticks. You can adjust the resistance of the sticks on the fly (for those who are confused about this, it makes it so you can make your sticks stiff or loose feeling, for better controller during game play)
I also read somewhere that your able to re-map the buttons somehow. I'm not 100% sure about this (button re-mapping) if it even works or not, or how it works; but it sounded kind of cool....

You know life is going good when girls are buying you hella dope gaming controllers!!!!!.....
:eek: (bust-out dat "O" face)...... :lol: :mrgreen:
i hate you i want this thing soooooo bad

WetterThanWater

You can only remap two buttons to my knowledge, there is an extra set of bumpers on it right above the normal bumpers its automatically set to RB for the one above RB and LB for the one above LB and I'm not quite sure how to change it, but I hear a lot of people but their kniving button on them for quick access.

dazzle

Is it any good,I`ve got one coming the end of the month,thats when it`s released in the uk

odingalt

Staff member

Yeah when are you going to crack this thing open and take some circuit board pics booyah

Fredrow

Here are the pics of the inside. I'm not sure about installing a macro into this but for sure am installing a legacy chip into it...[attachment=4:2ph31yb3]razer (bottom PCB).jpg[/attachment:2ph31yb3][attachment=3:2ph31yb3]Razer (top PCB).jpg[/attachment:2ph31yb3][attachment=2:2ph31yb3]razer (top view PCB).jpg[/attachment:2ph31yb3][attachment=1:2ph31yb3]Razer (inside bottom shell).jpg[/attachment:2ph31yb3][attachment=0:2ph31yb3]Razer (inside top shell).jpg[/attachment:2ph31yb3]

Attachments

• razer (bottom PCB).jpg
    razer (bottom PCB).jpg
    373 KB · Views: 263
  • Razer (top PCB).jpg
    Razer (top PCB).jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 263
  • razer (top view PCB).jpg
    razer (top view PCB).jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 261
  • Razer (inside bottom shell).jpg
    Razer (inside bottom shell).jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 262
  • Razer (inside top shell).jpg
    Razer (inside top shell).jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 261

odingalt

Staff member
Re: Razer Onza Tournament Edition Controller---(MOD)

Wow thanks for the pics. Quite an interesting setup. Shit I'll donate a legacy chip to you Chris if you are really going to mod one of those. That would be shweeeeet. Don't know if the Viking chip will fit in there you might have to sand it down (the modchip) lol.

Fredrow

Im sitting on 2 legacy chips, but thanks for the offer!

I love the feel of the controller only thing missing was rapid fire ....

Fredrow

A'ight I'm going to keep this project kind of like an open source deal and log all my work and post it here just so peeps can see what is crackin with this project.....

The first thing I need to accomplished is making sure the Viking chip will communicate with a PC through the new controller before anything else gets done.

After wiring up the chip the first time I had a huge fail on my part; my brain was just turned off. I had the D+ and D- leads connected to the controller and the Viking chip via UBS line. Then it all hit me, no way could that have worked out. Can't have two things both trying to talk at the same time.

So for a quick solution to this problem is to get a small push-down button that will be a double throw single pull. So that when the button is pushed down the leads for the D- and D+ of the Viking chip will only be connected to the leads of the USB line and when the button is in the open(non-pushed down state) the leads will be connected to the D+ and D- of the controller.

YOyxp.jpg

qTSwP.jpg

Dn7ls.jpg

The first thing I had to do was something I haven't had to do yet for any project and that was to remove so epoxy that was used to hold the main USB cable and add strength for the solder connections. For this I just used a super old crappy solder tip and my iron to remove the epoxy from the PCB.

zR3EI.jpg

Here is what the board looked like after that part of the job was done. I know the board looks super crappy but no traces got ruined and it looks extra bad because the PCB is made of super low quality materials. (Not a huge fan of how they put this controller together in-terms of the quality of materials used)

GznHa.jpg

fwbVB.jpg

485f9.jpg

The next thing I had to do was to double check and make sure this Viking chip was still good and in working order before I try anything else.

That is were I am now. Should have this controller connected/wired up by this weekend and then have the completed project done and assembled next week.....

Fredrow

Save that for when it is done.....

The final product will not have the USB cord directly soldered to the controller PCB like it was OG.... But instead I'm going to install a USB header on the controller then mod the OG cable to have USB connectors on each end of the cable.... (if you having a hard time picturing this, just wait a couple days to see it......
:mrgreen: )

WetterThanWater

Impressive! But doesn't the controller have an extra set of bumpers? Are they connected to the chip?

Fredrow

[color=#0040FF said:
WetterThanWater[/color]] Impressive! But doesn't the controller have an extra set of bumpers? Are they connected to the chip?

The extra set of bumpers are tied into the button re-mapping setup that is already built into the controller. So you can reassign any buttons you want to either of the two extra bumpers added to the controller.

NYjetsNY1

If you can get it working with a legacy, how about getting it to work with a macro chip next?

Fredrow

[color=#0000FF said:
NYjetsNY1[/color]]If you can get it working with a legacy, how about getting it to work with a macro chip next?

There is no way to fit the existing macro board into this controller without doing a whole new PCB design, and then I wouldn't even know if the macro would be compatible with this controller setup.
Plus the legacy setup is just perfect for this controller!!!!
;)

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

Fredrow said:
[color=#0000FF said:
NYjetsNY1[/color]]If you can get it working with a legacy, how about getting it to work with a macro chip next?

There is no way to fit the existing macro board into this controller without doing a whole new PCB design, and then I wouldn't even know if the macro would be compatible with this controller setup.
;)
considering that it already has remampable buttons i dont see the need for a macro board in it(although it would be badass)

Fredrow

NEpatsNE1 said:
Fredrow said:
[color=#0000FF said:

;)
considering that it already has remampable buttons i dont see the need for a macro board in it(although it would be badass)

You can only remap two buttons on Onza........