Idea for macros

Krier023

Useful Poster
I just thought of an idea for the macros. What if we integrated the macros to the viking software, and when you uploaded to macro library it downloaded into the macro software. This would make it so you dont have to go online to download macros and such. Just a little neat idea, not necessary, but it would be cool.

NYjetsNY1

NYjetsNY1 said:
agreed ^
-macro library reorganization
-macro library integration with the software, so its in the software so boom we can get right to the library from there
-4 LEDS / Page, or even 2 LEDS / page PLEASE
-different framerates
-overall just improve it

Basically said this already lol, in fact first post here: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2410

Anyways not to shoot you down, but I talked with odingalt about this.
It is too expensive to do, for one, and for another it is neat yes, but would you rather have this or actual new features to help our modded controller? I think new features to help in-game play is better than a huge integration project.

Remmnever

Your software would still need to go online to download the new updates to macros. But I personally don't want every single macro on my computer. I'm already having trouble sorting through the 20+ I have just for black ops.

NYjetsNY1

Remmnever said:
Your software would still need to go online to download the new updates to macros. But I personally don't want every single macro on my computer. I'm already having trouble sorting through the 20+ I have just for black ops.

You wouldn't need every single macro on your computer, you could just download the ones you needed. This is a nice organization feature, but very unnecessary.

odingalt

Staff member
Hmm this feature would be pretty awesome. We've sold about 500 macro controllers so far. If we were a Logitech sized company and sold 10,000 of these things a month I'd have a team of coders working on this kind of stuff :D .

Remmnever

NYjetsNY1 said:
Remmnever said:

You wouldn't need every single macro on your computer, you could just download the ones you needed. This is a nice organization feature, but very unnecessary.

Oh I thought the point of the idea was so you didn't have to download each macro. I guess the only step this would save you from is having to go to viking360 to download the macros then.

odingalt

Staff member
It would just be sweet if there was an in-software searchable browser with some sort of integration and drag-and-dropping and all the cool GUI stuff you see in name-brand software. So you wouldn't even have to 'manually' surf to the viking360 website to get macros.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
lol I would much rather see the PS3 project get off the ground... That would be nice, but it's far from a necesity.

Remmnever

odingalt said:
It would just be sweet if there was an in-software searchable browser with some sort of integration and drag-and-dropping and all the cool GUI stuff you see in name-brand software. So you wouldn't even have to 'manually' surf to the viking360 website to get macros.

Seems like you need some program managers to handle each project.

Software project - new features, analog controls, adding guide/sync,back buttons, firmware updates.

Playstation project - controller break down and start from scratch with ideas.

This way you can have multiple projects working at the same time but different individuals would be involved in each project.

It seems like the main idea makers and testers would be volunteers. Then the manager would need to contact the software group for cost of upgrades and changes.

This may all be going on already, I'm just giving some ideas so everyone can help in the work more effectively.

NYjetsNY1

Remmnever said:
odingalt said:

Seems like you need some program managers to handle each project.

Software project - new features, analog controls, adding guide/sync,back buttons, firmware updates.

Playstation project - controller break down and start from scratch with ideas.

This way you can have multiple projects working at the same time but different individuals would be involved in each project.

It seems like the main idea makers and testers would be volunteers. Then the manager would need to contact the software group for cost of upgrades and changes.

This may all be going on already, I'm just giving some ideas so everyone can help in the work more effectively.

=$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Remmnever

NYjetsNY1 said:
=$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Well I don't think that would be the difficult part. I would think a lot of members/moderators in this community would do it as voluntee work or free of charge. The time needed to be dedicated actually wouldn't be that much because each project would be headed by a different person. Each person would just need to check up on the progress occasionally to make sure it hasn't been forgotten.

I think the difficult part would be finding trustworthy people who can take on these projects. They would be trusted with important details on the design/parts of the controllers which are probably pretty valuable. This is probably the main reason my idea cannot work. The majority of people cannot be trusted, especially when they aren't being compensated with money to perform certain tasks.

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

Remmnever said:
NYjetsNY1 said:
=$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Well I don't think that would be the difficult part. I would think a lot of members/moderators in this community would do it as voluntee work or free of charge. The time needed to be dedicated actually wouldn't be that much because each project would be headed by a different person. Each person would just need to check up on the progress occasionally to make sure it hasn't been forgotten.

I think the difficult part would be finding trustworthy people who can take on these projects. They would be trusted with important details on the design/parts of the controllers which are probably pretty valuable. This is probably the main reason my idea cannot work. The majority of people cannot be trusted, especially when they aren't being compensated with money to perform certain tasks.
actually if you went over to modded matts website (acidmods) you could probably find some people that could do this.

NYjetsNY1

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW said:
Remmnever said:
NYjetsNY1 said:
=$$$$$$$$$$$$$

actually if you went over to modded matts website (acidmods) you could probably find some people that could do this.

As remmnever said, trustworthy people is hard to come by. One bad person from acidmods could mess up the entire project, thus ruining the whole thing.

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

NYjetsNY1 said:
As remmnever said, trustworthy people is hard to come by. One bad person from acidmods could mess up the entire project, thus ruining the whole thing.
hire hazer! he made some pretty good open source stuff.....maybe not for this project but for the PS3 project because he saw potential in it.

NYjetsNY1

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW said:
NYjetsNY1 said:
hire hazer! he made some pretty good open source stuff.....maybe not for this project but for the PS3 project because he saw potential in it.

Don't tell me, ask odingalt if you think he is a legit person.

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

NYjetsNY1 said:
M1A1xVIKINGxFTW said:
NYjetsNY1 said:

Don't tell me, ask odingalt if you think he is a legit person.
fredrow,matt,and OD know exactly who hazer is. he is the person who basicly made od create this whole "viking360" stuff

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Hazer would definatly be trustworthy, he's well known. I'll do whatever I can to help, but my coding expeience is limited... Only Turing and visual basic.

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

PS3andCOD said:
Hazer would definatly be trustworthy, he's well known. I'll do whatever I can to help, but my coding expeience is limited... Only Turing and visual basic.
hazer could be a really useful person in this project as well as matt and blackburn.

odingalt

Staff member
Hazer would definitely volunteer if we made the Viking360 project fully open-source and free. Which is never going to happen :D.

At the end of the day you need a qualified and professional (paid) coder to write this stuff. I take care of the firmware but I am an amateur when it comes to multi-o/s support. It's a miracle when I get something to work on 32-bit XP SP2, let alone the other 10 varieties of Windows o/s that are common in every residential household.

We could set up a whole collaboration website based around users project managing ideas but at the end of the road is a software programmer asking anywhere from $50-$150 an hour to do the work. I work a day job, the Viking360 job and also do some embedded and firmware design work on contract when opportunities arise.

Could I manage the business differently - if I could do it again would I do the macro controller project differently? Damn straight I would. I'm hoping to take everything I've learned. I am going to make a cheaper product for the PS3. The question is will I have to cut features to make that happen or can we have something nearly as awesome as the macro controller. Will be starting that in February but only after I have gotten the badly needed xbox 360 macro controller firmware updates tested and released.

I am at least 3 weeks behind on the promised update and that is not cool.