PS3 rapid fire

PS3andCOD

Contributor
This is more like what about this system? I don't want to start some fanboy fight, but you could double your market by selling PS3 kits too. It wouldn't be to difficult to adapt your current chip to PS3. The only problem I see is that you need to have the chip go to R1 and R2, because some games use R1 to shoot (COD) and some use R2 to shoot (medal of honnor, james bond). you would also need to find all the solder spots for your chip, but you could probably pay another modder who already knows to tell you.There arn't to many PS3 chips out there compared to X-box chips, and yours is far superior to any that I have seen. Please tell me what you think.

Fredrow

I believe the main reason why there are not some many mod chips for the PS3 controllers. Because in the Xbox 360 controller
we have just the two types of circuit board inside of the controller. You know the GUTS of the controller itself. While in the PS3 controller there are 6 different boards. Now I don't know about you but I already have a full-plate right now with college and doing this......

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Also, I just realised 2 things: you can't mess up the charging port because the batteries are internal, but this can be remedied by using the optional 3.5 ports you have on the 360 controllers. Also, I believe the PS3 bateries are 5.2 volts, I don't know if that's important or not though. Personaly I would be willing to have some AA's taped to the outside of my controller to power the chip if that was what I needed. But even the programing could be more or less the same, because call of duty is identicle on each system.

odingalt

Staff member
Tell you what, we have our hands pretty full with XBOX 360 mods, but I would be willing to work with one of the existing shops on adapting our chip to PS3 (for a price :) ). The PS3 controller shell looks VERY tight for space, our chip is bigger than the usual 8-pin PIC chip and we also use a 3.5mm jack for programming, so would need to find room for those two things in addition to the added LED and tac switches.

So I'm not sure if our existing Viking chip would fit in the PS3 or if a special chip would need to be developed. I think we could find a smaller chip than the 20-pin SSOP that we currently use that could fit nicely in the PS3.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
That would be great! You should try speaking to the Brian guy from the site on that link, he has a controller for sale that has rapid fire on every button. he dosn't have an X-box version though, so maybe you could trade him? If you help him find the butons on X-box, he could help you find them on PS3. As for space issues, I have seen a chip that looks simular in size to yours for PS3: http://www.maddogcontrollers.com/ but you are also forgeting that not all PS3 controllers have rumble, so there is the entire "legs" of the controller completely empty! this would also reduce the number of boards if you offered your kit only for those controllers, as I believe there are only 2 or 3 boards for the 6-axis controlers.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
By the way, now that I think about it, the guy from that last link knows how to do "direct from R1" rapid fire, most PS3 rapidfire is done by pressing the tac switch to shoot. The only problem with that Brian guy is that his sit has been down for 4 months. It's accessable, but you can't buy anything. If you wanted to see the places for the buttons without leting him in on it, just buy his 8 buton rapidfire controler, and then you just need to figure out which one is which of the 8 (8 being the face butons and the trigger buttons). I hope that you would provide the support for the PS3 version, as you seem to have great customer support.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Here is the link to the 8 button controller: http://www.brianspdr.com/8button.html and I forgot to mention, the tac swithces are no problem, as you can see he fit 9 of them in his. if you can't make the chip work directly from R2 and L2 you may need to add 2 tac switches for rapidfire from them. Also, you can go directly to the player indicator LED's on PS3 aswell. there are instructions on how to do so when you click on a board in the first link.

I also thought of a new programing idea for you, why don't you make a setting that has a mode for each button, and when you press the left tac switch, it keeps hitting that button until you hit it again? that would be good for say oblivion- hyper leveling jumping. you could also add a setting that it keeps hiting the button until you let go of the tac switch, that would be good for games where it makes you tap a button for something.

eastoakland

PS3andCOD said:
Here is the link to the 8 button controller: http://www.brianspdr.com/8button.html and I forgot to mention, the tac swithces are no problem, as you can see he fit 9 of them in his. if you can't make the chip work directly from R2 and L2 you may need to add 2 tac switches for rapidfire from them. Also, you can go directly to the player indicator LED's on PS3 aswell. there are instructions on how to do so when you click on a board in the first link.

I also thought of a new programing idea for you, why don't you make a setting that has a mode for each button, and when you press the left tac switch, it keeps hitting that button until you hit it again? that would be good for say oblivion- hyper leveling jumping. you could also add a setting that it keeps hiting the button until you let go of the tac switch, that would be good for games where it makes you tap a button for something.

WTF how can he play with that many buttons that close together? That must be made for someone with girl hands.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Just make sure you let me know whats going on with this. I'd be willing to test a chip in mine as long as you'd take it back if it didn't work. I think it would fit fine in the leg part of a sixaxis controler. If you bought one of the 8 button controllers of the brian guy you'd only need to find the sticks, and how to fire directly from R1, R2, L1, and L2

Fredrow

PS3andCOD said:
Just make sure you let me know whats going on with this. I'd be willing to test a chip in mine as long as you'd take it back if it didn't work. I think it would fit fine in the leg part of a sixaxis controler. If you bought one of the 8 button controllers of the brian guy you'd only need to find the sticks, and how to fire directly from R1, R2, L1, and L2

If this guy already has a rapid fire for Ps3....Then why are you here asking for one from us?? Just wanted to know??

PS3andCOD

Contributor
His sucks compared to yours. Period. Also, I would have bought one from him... but his store has been closed since I found it in June. Obviously bad customer service. Not to mention, yours is updatable, and it does the glitches. his isn't even ready for the new COD 4 update yet. also, I'd need to buy a new chip for COD 6 next month. Yours can be switched between games with a simple update. To put it simply, yours is awsome!

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Not to mention... why don't you want to provide PS3 rapidfire? PS3 sales are on the rise! I know kids who have sold X-boxes and even wii's to get PS3s. PS3 is more popular than ever, especialy with the new slim version. I beleive that rapidfire is used often on PS3, because there is currently no reporting system online. I honestly think that addapting your chip to be the absolute best PS3 rapidfire chip yet would be as simple as changing the voltage to the 3.7V (is that the same?) of a PS3 controller. I'm not sure on this, but asuming it's safe to just open it up, attatch a curcuit tester to power and start touching it to things to see if that point is a button or not, I would do it. If you offered a free chip to anyone who sent you a picture of a different board with all the solder locations marked, I'm sure other people would too.

odingalt

Staff member
Hey I'm all for getting into the PS3 business. I just need to find 2 spare minutes to develop something lol

Anybody want to team up and make some money? Maybe I could write code and do PCB design and you could run a PS3 mod shop if you run an iron... Fredrow???... ;)

Einar