PS4 Berserker.

odingalt

Staff member
It's basically going to just show up one day (we'll post in facebook, send out newsletter from vikingdigital.com, etc.). In the past we've done pre-orders, but this time around we are doing beta testing pre-release first and then wait until the product is totally ready before opening up for orders. We are still on track for release this year, just working through some bugs on the prototype PS4 Berserker modchips.

Freyja

Staff member
Quote from Odin:
I am madly working on the prototype. I found a few errors in our prototype modchip design, I am working on CAD drafting to get those errors fixed. Unfortunately it will take a week or two to get the new production PCB's in. I'm not sure if I'm going to make a Christmas release or not. I am hoping to release before New Year's. I should have everything I need to start production the first week of December.

Freyja

Staff member
There was never a Kickstarter for the PS4 Berserker; we chose not to do it for this controller because the Kickstarter for the XB1 Berserker was unsuccessful. We are not doing pre-orders for the PS4 Berserker either. When the controller is ready to be sold to customers we will make an announcement and change them to in stock on our website.

The final few pieces for the build are supposed to be here by Friday and then we can start our beta testing.

odingalt

Staff member
Well, we tried a kickstarter but it failed to fund (only got 9 backers we needed 100 backers to make it happen). However I just received the production PCB's today for the PS4 Berserker. The bad news is our staff is running crazy overtime trying just to keep up with holiday shoppers so we probably won't be building those PS4 Berserker modchips until weke of 12/28. The first few PS4 Berserkers are ear-marked for beta testers. We're going slow on this project (in the past we dove in with pre-orders before we were ready).

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

ModdingBros Representative
Waiting on pics of the ps4 beserker! Not going to lie I'll most likely pre order this once I see this bad boy. I'm gonna be like sold sold & sold!

odingalt

Staff member
It's going to be pretty standard issue, a stock PS4 controller, 9mm 4-quadrant LED Lense installed near the mic jack at the bottom, 4 standard tac switches drilled and glued into the shell. We don't turn enough volume to develop a blade system like we did for XBOX One. Also, the day after we released the blade system for XBOX One, Microsoft announced Elite and nullified all our work. So, we're just going to sell PS4 Berserker with standard tac switches. And if some day Sony releases a "supercontroller" similar to the Elite, we'll adapt the PS4 Berserker to work with it. Otherwise, just standard tac switches for now.

With that in mind I'm not sure if we should standardize with 2 on top and 2 on bottom, or all 4 on bottom.

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

I would defenantly mount all 4 tacs on the bottom of the controller. I would at least spring a little more money on some upgraded tact switches or go with tac cap covers. Something that has more surface area. U can still get good deals on tac switches but I'd at least strongly suggest going with a wider surface area tac.

Personally I prefer a wide stance tac switch over everything else. The small tacs really start to hurt your fingers after a while. Just some helpful advice.

odingalt

Staff member
After some further thought from the installation perspective, we're going with all four on the bottom.

odingalt

Staff member
will paddles for the tac switches be an option for ps4 Berserker?

Nope. We learned our lesson with XBOX One. (We spent a bunch of time developing paddles for XBOX One and released our product on a Sunday before E3. Monday morning, Microsoft announced Elite. Now I have a pile of paddle product for XBOX One that will never sell).

So when to comes to PS4 Berserker this go around, we are just doing old fashioned standard tactile buttons. And then we'll wait for Sony to come out with a Microsoft Elite clone.

odingalt

Staff member
Note that we are using a CNC router to create the hole/slot for the USB jack. This allows us to make a recessed hole which makes the USB jack fit nicer and also helps the hot glue hold it in place with more strength. You can make something look nice with hand tools (drills, files, xacto knives, etc.) but it will take you more time and a bit of hand-whiddling to get it just right. The soldering portion of this install isn't the hard part, as usual, the hard part (for me, at least) is getting everything drilled in the exact correct place and getting hot glue applied correctly. If you follow the locations for tacts and USB jack that we show in the manual then you shouldn't have any problems.

I tried to use less text and more pictures in this manual. In the past what I have discovered is that if I put really important notes in the text, nobody reads them until it's too late :).

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

So I'm a little confused, are you saying in so many words a possibility of ps4 beserker diy kit? I'm going to assume that your showing off the whole process of the installation? Still its very awesome and I'm still saving up for the pre-order. Buying a new home leaves me pretty broke these days.

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

Curious to when the ps4 beserker will be back up for sale. Just got my taxes back and almost done with a settlement with a old car accident so I finally got some money to play with!