Public Forge

odingalt

Staff member
Time to get honest I guess. We ran out of money. The software developers went 300% over budget and didn't deliver crucial features that we told them from day 1 needed to get done. The Berserker project ran into 6-figures (was only supposed to be $50,000 for the whole project software and hardware). The gaming accessories market is in the worst slump in 9 years. We are just trying to make the rent. We posted -$58,000 in 2013 and -$42,000 just year to date in 2014. (We basically broke even, those losses represent what the Berserker cost to design and build) We're just hanging on for dear life and hoping Christmas brings in some sales so we can resume Berserker. Berserker is a long term project. No matter what happens to my company and finances I'll be hanging onto Berserker and building them out of my basement again if that's what's needed.

We've always been a low volume shop, so we always tread a fine line when we go on these grandeur software projects. The original XBOX 360 macro controller also almost sent us into bankruptcy. It was the same thing. We went over budget and underdelivered. It was missing features we promised. We had our credit cards maxed out and $500 in our checking account and no sales coming in and the rent due. Customers didn't see to warm up to it at first. We weren't sure if we were going to make it. Eventually we did and 18 months later we took money and put it back into updating the XBOX 360 Macro software. Berserker is like the XBOX 360 Macro all over again. It's a tough battle right now but we'll stick with it and it'll turn around.

Now with that said the Berserker still does more than the XBOX 360 macro controller. Way, way more. Way way way more! WAAAAY MORE. IT'S THE MOST AWESOME FUCKING CONTROLLER EVER. Not sure how long it will take customers to see this, but it's the truth. I wouldn't say it if I didn't believe it. Since Berserker I haven't touched my old XBOX 360 macro. Yeah the learning curve is there and you have to draw all of your macros over again but I can do some awesome shit with Berserker that could never be done on XBOX 360 macro. Take XBOX 360 macro. Add all the features that customers requested but couldn't get on XBOX 360 macro. Add it up and you get the Berserker.

On a side note, we're not even supposed to be selling Ragnaroks - the business plan calls for selling only Berserkers. A high end model in the $200's that includes lifetime forge access, and a lower end model in the $100's where you have to buy the gamepacks. The lower end model would basically emulate the Ragnarok out of the box, but also give you the option of buying more gamepacks later but only if you choose to do so. We got forced into selling the Ragnaroks just to try to pay the rent and our debt service. We'll pull out of it but I can't lie the Berserker is basically on hold until we are out of survival mode. Market is D E A D right now, I mean dead.

Not what you wanted to hear. We tried to launch that PS4 Berserker as a kickstarter campaign to juice some funds back into the company so we could get the software developers back on the project to work on the forge some more, but that fizzled. We did get 11 backers. I wonder if we did a more traditional pre-order if that would have worked better.

JIM WALKER

That's about as honest as it gets, regardless of all that, I, and I am sure I speak for the majority of Viking members, we know what the berserker is capable of, we know there is more to come, we will wait patiently for those future features. VIKING, YOU HAVE MY SUPPORT !!!! Whatever happens. Thank you for being so upfront and candid, gutsy statement odin, you deserve our support and success ....

JIM WALKER

I would like to see if we, as a community can create a sidedoor method (other than dropbox) where we can share our runes. My only suggestion is via e-mail where if sent with a user instruction (what buttons to push and when). I am willing to set up a new dedicated e-mail address and give it to all Viking members, then act as a conduit for runes made by others to be sent to me and I will send them to those that request them. This would involve help from you guys that can create runes to help those that cannot. If we can agree to this then I would ask odingalt to create a new section heading. If anyone has a better idea, then lets hear it. IT IS NOW OUR RESPONCIBILITY TO SUPPORT ODIN AND VIKING BY HELPING OURSELVES AT THE SAME TIME ... LETS NOT START COMPLAINING, LETS MOVE ON WITH POSITIVE THINKING !!!!! Wish there was a way we could perhaps create a fund to bolster the Viking survival ......

oDEEKo

Just throwing this in here ;-)

Arguably one of the best/most simple ways for customers to show their support is to share their good experiences...

No one needs to make anything up or take on some kind of unpaid promoter role ;-) Just say a few words, whenever an opportunity arises, on other forums, Viking forums, facebook etc., to let other people know why you're a happy customer :)

When there's companies in the market like evil, following the tried and tested easy road to success business model: Produce inferior products, channel huge amounts of money into SEO and advertising, alongside pursuing spurious litigation to try and monopolise the market, community opinion/awareness/support can be a real help to the 'honest guys' who focus on R&D and customer support.

odingalt

Staff member
When there's companies in the market like evil, following the tried and tested easy road to success business model: Produce inferior products, channel huge amounts of money into SEO and advertising, alongside pursuing spurious litigation to try and monopolise the market, community opinion/awareness/support can be a real help to the 'honest guys' who focus on R&D and customer support.

Thank you!

modded matt

I see some of you are very good with graphic design. If you will design an horizontal and vertical banner (advertisement) I will put it on the acidmods forum. I can make it clickable to redirect to the Viking store. Acidmods is also very slow right now. Our modding shop is kaput. (we only sold supplies and team x stuff anyway, not that we were in competition with viking) Dont know if it will help, but cant hurt. Although I do not do the art work and all my art team guys have graduated and moved on, so my art team is also dead (once consisted of 50+ art team members)

I do not think the industry as we knew it will ever get back to where it was 5 years ago. one can only hope.

modded matt

Vertical banners are shown on my front page and should be 160 wide x 600 tall.
Horizontal banners are shown in the forum pages and should be 720 wide x 78 tall.

Attachments

• Slide1.png
    Slide1.png
    119.7 KB · Views: 9
  • banner1.jpg
    banner1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 12

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

ModdingBros Representative
Great post Matt. I'd really like to see someone here take this banner challenge up! I'm with ya, couldent hurt, only could be benifical.

Everything will work out in the long I'm sure. Till then let's buckle up and enjoy the bumpy roads lol.

Last edited:

JIM WALKER

Take out one of the Viking 360's......you have two.

Yes I know, but the white one is part of the background image I used as a base, didn't think it stood out enough, thought of overlaying it but looked better as a separate line, will wait to see what Matt thinks, I can remove it if I have to ..... thanks for the feedback though ...

modded matt

Odin needs to approve the banners.

Also, is there anyway you could make a slightly darker themed banner that will flow better with Acidmods and you should make the Viking360.com pop more, it currently dies in the background.

Just my thoughts. If your happy with them, I will post them.