Im new to mods

Gohea

i can change through the rapid fire mods butt i have to hold the trigger and then push the mod button. its the opposite of what the papper says, and i cant get any other mods to to run, and i cant get player 4 led to go out? and does it matter if i hold the mod button the player 3 led flashes like 2 flashes then one flash over and over?

Last edited:

dogeatdog

What's the big blob of solder doing to the lower right of the crystal on the chip ? Also, check the wires for correct installation, pinches or bare spots causing shorts. I'd also heavily advise to invest in some more color wires, it's so much easier to trace them after/during installation if they are not all.. red.. :)

Gohea

not sure what crystal your talking about, and i have quadruple checked to make sure the connections are right, and made sure there are no bare spots to be shorting it out?

dogeatdog

Well, if everything is alright, and you are sure there are no bare spots, then the only explanation is a faulty chip. But then again, that's assuming your soldering is perfect..

Not sure what I can suggest to you more. Here's your picture of the chip with the crystal highlighted. Lower right of the highlighted area looks like a blob of solder...

jessechip.jpg

Gohea

ya that was just a peice of something on there when i took the pic. it not really soldered on there.

im only sure all the wires are hooked up in the right spot because i was doing them on at a time solder to the chip and then right to were it goes

how would i know if it is a fualty and what would i do about that or am i **** out of luck lol

if it is a faulty chip then why would rapid fire work, not sure why all of the other mods wont work though?

Last edited:

odingalt

Staff member
i can change through the rapid fire mods butt i have to hold the trigger and then push the mod button. its the opposite of what the papper says, and i cant get any other mods to to run, and i cant get player 4 led to go out? and does it matter if i hold the mod button the player 3 led flashes like 2 flashes then one flash over and over?

This indicates a bad connection. All the connection must be 100% perfect for the mod to work properly, unfortunately if even one connection is bad it will mess up the whole modchip.

dogeatdog

Make sure you keep the bare wire as short as possible and make very sure no other contacts in the vicinity are shorted. Also, with low grade 30awg (I prefer to use Kynar), too much heat might cause the plastic to shrivel. You said you resoldered 4 times, but those 4 times, did you use new wire, or every time the same wires reused ?

Also, please make closeups pics of every part of the board where you have soldered. All we have now is your word, and how good that might be, we still can't see it for ourselves :)

Gohea

ya i use new wire every time just because i am a little osd about thing like that lol. and im using a solid wire does that matter?

odingalt

Staff member
Yes if you can post lots of close-up hi resolution picture we can try to locate the problem

odingalt

Staff member
Really this does not look bad. The only thing that I can think of at first glance is you seem to have a lot of solder on the RT and LT points, that's the one in the middle of three points in a row. When you turn on the mod what happens again?

[Other than maybe the wires getting pinched when the shell closes but I assume you are routing those out of the "keep out" area when you close the shell together]

dogeatdog

Hmm.. just thought of something very stupid. He can't switch the mods off or select them. Did you try measuring continiuity between the two legs of the switch button when you press it down and release it ? No hotglue problems in that region, preventing the switch from.. euh.. switching :) ?

Gohea

Really this does not look bad. The only thing that I can think of at first glance is you seem to have a lot of solder on the RT and LT points, that's the one in the middle of three points in a row. When you turn on the mod what happens again?

[Other than maybe the wires getting pinched when the shell closes but I assume you are routing those out of the "keep out" area when you close the shell together]

the rapid fire mod is always on and i have to change through rapid fire by holding the right trigger and then push the mod button. and i cant switch to any other mods. and if i hold the mod button player 4 led will flash 2 times and then 1 time

Gohea

Hmm.. just thought of something very stupid. He can't switch the mods off or select them. Did you try measuring continiuity between the two legs of the switch button when you press it down and release it ? No hotglue problems in that region, preventing the switch from.. euh.. switching :) ?

i dont really under stand im still new when it comes to electrical terms lol. you want me to check the voltage? But wouldnt the mod switch be ok because i can switch through rapid fire mods "in a funny way but i can switch them" could something still be wrong with the mod switch, and i have a lot of hot glue and it is connecting the points is that bad?

dogeatdog

i dont really under stand im still new when it comes to electrical terms lol. you want me to check the voltage? But wouldnt the mod switch be ok because i can switch through rapid fire mods "in a funny way but i can switch them" could something still be wrong with the mod switch, and i have a lot of hot glue and it is connecting the points is that bad?

No, I misunderstood. I thought your mod switch was not responding at all. Hot glue.. provided it wasn't so hot that it melted the solder (which I sincerely doubt).. doesn't do much harm on its own, its not conductive. People damage parts when they try to take it off and it has bonded to SMD parts or other fragile bits on a PCB, but that's a different story.

Gohea

i was thinking if i connected the optional jack could that maybe help me out and try to program it that way?