wired controllers

PS3andCOD

Contributor
I know you don't support them, but do you know if it should work if I took the time to find the diagrams and install one? ie are they matrix or simular to PS3 controllers, or do they work simularily to wireless controllers?

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Well, it would have to be the cl version, but it says it's a common line instead of a common ground like the wireless. Will that matter?

PS3andCOD

Contributor
I tried posting on xbox scene for an answer, and someone said that the wired controller uses 5v instaed of 3v. Does that make a diference other than the chip's power?

Fredrow

PS3andCOD said:
I tried posting on xbox scene for an answer, and someone said that the wired controller uses 5v instaed of 3v. Does that make a diference other than the chip's power?

It shouldn't, because the controller has a voltage regulator built into it, which will dispense the right amount of voltages needed to certain areas.

Plus, when you plug in a wireless controller up to your Xbox 360 using the PnC cable, you are putting 5V into the controller. So basically it is just like having a wired controller.....

PS3andCOD

Contributor
OK, well the thing I'm not really sure on is whether the 5v is how much the buttons control? Does the wired controller just run completely off of 5v without uing 3v at all? Would you need to power the viking chip externaly if that was the case? And what exactly is th difference between common ground and common line?

Fredrow

PS3andCOD said:
OK, well the thing I'm not really sure on is whether the 5v is how much the buttons control? Does the wired controller just run completely off of 5v without uing 3v at all? Would you need to power the viking chip externaly if that was the case? And what exactly is th difference between common ground and common line?

I would think that the voltage distribution for the wired controller would be the same as if the wireless controller was connected using the PnC cable, but don’t quote me on that.

When the voltage is applied to the controller it will hit a voltage regulator, the voltage regulator will send the appropriate amount of voltage needed to each section of the controller..... But one way to figure out the difference between the 2 controller types would be to grab yourself a DMM and start taking measurements of the voltages at certain locations.....

With the Viking chip, it can handle a max voltage of 5V.... Maybe more, but I don’t think so. I would have to look at the data sheet. But most PICs have a max voltage of 5V.

Well common ground is a no brainer......

But common line, I'm not too sure about.... The only thing that I could think of, and this is just a guess, but maybe it’s the opposite of common ground, kind of..... Like you would have 2 or 3 points being controlled by one voltage and the way it’s being controlled is by either a BJT or maybe a FET, or just a couple diodes.... But again I really don’t know, this was just a slight guess/pulling shit out my ass.......

PS3andCOD

Contributor
When I think about it, I think the PS3 is common line, but it has 3 of them where the wired xbox controller has only 1. I suppose the only way to find out for sure would be to try it out. Unfortunatly I don't really have the money to throw away if it doesn't work. Any chance you want to take a crack at it?

modded matt

common line is the opposite of comon ground, meaning the common line carries voltage instead of ground. as for the 5v this is something you dont need to worry about. the viking will run fine at 5v even better then it normally does. that chip is under powered in wireless controllers as is. like i said before though I have not tested these controllers, but in therory as fredrow said there should be a voltage regulator coming off the usb breaking the supply voltage down to 3v.

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

i foresee one CRITICAL error how would you program the chip..the only way i can see maybe 3.5mm but i dont know if that would even work

PS3andCOD

Contributor
You'd obviously have to use a 3.5mm jack for programing. As for power, it would probably work to plug the controller into a PC usb port, but if not you should be able to power it with a usb charger, like you use for an ipod.

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

PS3andCOD said:
You'd obviously have to use a 3.5mm jack for programing. As for power, it would probably work to plug the controller into a PC usb port, but if not you should be able to power it with a usb charger, like you use for an ipod.
Yes...I can see this working quite well actually Maybe I would make a wired one....once Odin starts selling chips again

viking360fan

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW said:
PS3andCOD said:
Yes...I can see this working quite well actually Maybe I would make a wired one....once Odin starts selling chips again
fredrow sells chips at competive rates :0

PS3andCOD

Contributor
M1A1xVIKINGxFTW said:
PS3andCOD said:

Yeah, I was thinking about it instead of a PS3 controller, because you can get those converters...

PS3andCOD

Contributor
modded matt said:
common line is the opposite of comon ground, meaning the common line carries voltage instead of ground. as for the 5v this is something you dont need to worry about. the viking will run fine at 5v even better then it normally does. that chip is under powered in wireless controllers as is. like i said before though I have not tested these controllers, but in therory as fredrow said there should be a voltage regulator coming off the usb breaking the supply voltage down to 3v.

So does anyone know how the viking chip would work with the common line? As I see it, that means that it puts out power on the common, and each of the buttons is a ground. Is that correct? If so, would it make a difference? All the chip does is connect the two wires when it wants to right? (Thats the very basic explaination of course. I don't even know the complicated one.)

modded matt

I haent tested the viking chip, but I would assume like anyother mod, it is not closing a circut as you discribed, it supplies curent to the active side of the via, making the controller think the contact was closed.

I dont want to be rude dude, but I am not sure you are up for this mod, just baised on some of the questions your asking. I will help in anyway I can. bur you are going to have to do most of the leg work. if you can tget me here as in not here alot, my msn is moddedmatt@yahoo.com

please know you are doing so at your own risk.

modded matt

you may, but I am not responcable if you take my advice and somehow mess your console or controller up. I will do everything n my power to steer you on the right course, but I cant make you walk it.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
modded matt said:
I haent tested the viking chip, but I would assume like anyother mod, it is not closing a circut as you discribed, it supplies curent to the active side of the via, making the controller think the contact was closed.

I dont want to be rude dude, but I am not sure you are up for this mod, just baised on some of the questions your asking. I will help in anyway I can. bur you are going to have to do most of the leg work. if you can tget me here as in not here alot, my msn is moddedmatt@yahoo.com

please know you are doing so at your own risk.

I respect that, I definatly don't know as much as you, odingalt, fredrow or probably irishstyle. If the chip does in fact apply a copy-cat amount of current, than would that not mean that it wouldn't work since the common line is the opposite of comon ground?