wired controllers

modded matt

just do it. dont be scary, the only way to do new mods such as this is to not be afraid of breaking something.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Well, we have no idea if the chip would work properly in a wired controller even if it was wired perfectly. I'd love to see odingalts input on this...

Fredrow

PS3andCOD said:
Well, we have no idea if the chip would work properly in a wired controller even if it was wired perfectly. I'd love to see odingalts input on this...

That's the key thing you need to figure out! Because I don't think wiring up the Viking chip to a wired controller is going to be the same as wiring it up to the wireless controllers CG, CG2 boards.

That's where the LEG WORK comes into play that MM was talking about. You are going to have to buy a used wired controller from either your local pawn shop, craigslist, or on eBay. Then either buy a crappy used CG, or CG2 board and then run through each board using a DMM. Then record your findings and trying to figure out the difference of the two controllers. Then after that you will have a way better idea on how the Viking board should be wired up, or better yet if it even can be wired up to a wired controller.

a42ozslushie

A long time ago I had an eight pin chip installed into a wired controller. But, viking chips are way more complex and different; not to mention nicer :D

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Fredrow said:
PS3andCOD said:

That's the key thing you need to figure out! Because I don't think wiring up the Viking chip to a wired controller is going to be the same as wiring it up to the wireless controllers CG, CG2 boards.

That's where the LEG WORK comes into play that MM was talking about. You are going to have to buy a used wired controller from either your local pawn shop, craigslist, or on eBay. Then either buy a crappy used CG, or CG2 board and then run through each board using a DMM. Then record your findings and trying to figure out the difference of the two controllers. Then after that you will have a way better idea on how the Viking board should be wired up, or better yet if it even can be wired up to a wired controller.

Yeah, I would guess that it would probably be easier to just try and instal the chip and see what happens. But I have no money right now, as soon as I get some I'll take a look at it...

a42ozslushie said:
A long time ago I had an eight pin chip installed into a wired controller. But, viking chips are way more complex and different; not to mention nicer :D
Really? It was designed for a wireless controller, and you just installed it on the wired controller? Did it work properly?

Fredrow

PS3andCOD said:
Do you have an email address for whoever instaled it?

First off, the coding for the Viking360 chip is different than the coding that was used for the PIC12F683 chips (these are the 8 pin chips).

Also the PIC12F683 chips were just straight rapid-fire (like 90%) so all you where connecting too was really the triggers.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
OK, I had no idea about the code, and the triggers is a good point, but I have seen a guide for one that was on the face buttons as well, but it might have had special code... The instal of one of those chips on a wired controller might be irelivant then...

Fredrow

PS3andCOD said:
OK, I had no idea about the code, and the triggers is a good point, but I have seen a guide for one that was on the face buttons as well, but it might have had special code... The instal of one of those chips on a wired controller might be irelivant then...

I think your looking at this all backwards..... You should first start with figuring out how the controller itself operates. Like do all the buttons share ground, or is it just a complete digital setup like the Matrix controller...... How is power dispensed through the controller....

By the way; what have you done so far? Any forward progress??

modded matt

FTW:

Fredrow said:
I think your looking at this all backwards..... You should first start with figuring out how the controller itself operates. Like do all the buttons share ground, or is it just a complete digital setup like the Matrix controller...... How is power dispensed through the controller....

By the way; what have you done so far? Any forward progress??[/color]
[/quote]

also so we are clear. the 12f683 is a different chip, it is an 8 pin that lacks some of the features the viking chip has, but its still a microcontroller none the less. the 12f683's weakness to the pic used by viking is the lack of I/O pins. therefore it is generally only used to conect to the triggers (basic rapidfire) the 12f683 internally could be capable of running the program, and we have used it to do rapid reload, or chainsaw duels in GOW along with RF. but due to the lack of pins the hardware wont allow it to go much further than that.

as for taking the 12f683 with say hazers basic opensource RF and dumping it into a wired controller for straight rapid fire, I would go out on a limb and state that there should be absolutly no reason it wont function the exact same as it did in the wireless controller. I say this because the triggers are potinimiters. they operate differently between matrix, and cg (backwards actually) but they are still pots and there are only so many variations. the missing variable is how the face buttons are going to react, to figure this we need to test the controller and the viking chip. (the leg work I spoke of)

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Fredrow said:

By the way; what have you done so far? Any forward progress??

Yeah, according to Matt's acidmods wired controller page, they have a common line, just how different from common ground that is is what I don't get... PS3 has 3 different lines in the controllers. I havn't actually gotten a controller yet... I want to pick one up some time soon, and I'll see what I can get out of it with a mutimeter. I really don't want to buy a wireless controller as I have no use for one, but I'll see what happens with the wired one first. Maybe I can get one with a broken analog or cracked case for free...

modded matt said:
also so we are clear. the 12f683 is a different chip, it is an 8 pin that lacks some of the features the viking chip has, but its still a microcontroller none the less. the 12f683's weakness to the pic used by viking is the lack of I/O pins. therefore it is generally only used to conect to the triggers (basic rapidfire) the 12f683 internally could be capable of running the program, and we have used it to do rapid reload, or chainsaw duels in GOW along with RF. but due to the lack of pins the hardware wont allow it to go much further than that.

as for taking the 12f683 with say hazers basic opensource RF and dumping it into a wired controller for straight rapid fire, I would go out on a limb and state that there should be absolutly no reason it wont function the exact same as it did in the wireless controller. I say this because the triggers are potinimiters. they operate differently between matrix, and cg (backwards actually) but they are still pots and there are only so many variations. the missing variable is how the face buttons are going to react, to figure this we need to test the controller and the viking chip. (the leg work I spoke of)

Yeah, I am comepletely aware that it is a different chip. I figured it was mostly limited by only having 14 legs, but I wasn't crystal clear on that one...

Fredrow

modded matt said:
FTW:

Fredrow said:

By the way; what have you done so far? Any forward progress??[/color]

as for taking the 12f683 with say hazers basic opensource RF and dumping it into a wired controller for straight rapid fire, I would go out on a limb and state that there should be absolutly no reason it wont function the exact same as it did in the wireless controller. I say this because the triggers are potinimiters. they operate differently between matrix, and cg (backwards actually) but they are still pots and there are only so many variations. the missing variable is how the face buttons are going to react, to figure this we need to test the controller and the viking chip. (the leg work I spoke of)[/quote]

Just so we are clear on this, the only reason why we even were talking about the 683's is because another member posted something saying that his friend wired one up to a wired controller. I know they are not the same chip.... So I hope your little FTW comment wasn't pointed in my direction.....hahaha

Yeah, according to Matt's acidmods wired controller page, they have a common line, just how different from common ground that is is what I don't get... PS3 has 3 different lines in the controllers. I havn't actually gotten a controller yet... I want to pick one up some time soon, and I'll see what I can get out of it with a mutimeter. I really don't want to buy a wireless controller as I have no use for one, but I'll see what happens with the wired one first. Maybe I can get one with a broken analog or cracked case for free...

I'm hopping to get some free time this weekend or maybe this week and take a look at a wired controller and see what's up with it. Just been hella busy with the controller work and then my Electronics classes are at that point in the quarter were all the work starts to get harder..... But I will keep in touch and see if we can't figure this thing out...... With the common line, the signal is going to be controlled with transistors for the A,B,X,Y buttons, I think!!!!

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Sounds great! You are the pro, where as I am not. Getting the wired controllers going could be great for viking as a company too, you'd get all the decently serious PS3 gamers buying one and one of those adaptors.

modded matt

lol ftw means "for the win"

I which ment your coment stating that he needed to start testing how the controller works is the best coment and advice I have seen posted here yet