May 2014 Beta Testing Thread (Random Firing with Berserker Controller)

jerrod710

I know you've done all you can do Odin to help my situation out especially since I have no idea what's going on and how to fix it and you have taken my controller in and replaced the mod chip even though that was likely not necessary but just for extra measure and you're shipping it back to me. You've been extremely helpful and are trying your best and answering issues on here in a timely manner. I know eventually it will all get sorted out and thus thing will be great. Thanks for not being like Gamer Mods where they sell you a two hundred some odd dollar controller and claim there is a warranty and when you have an issue you can't even get a hold of somebody or get a return phone call or any other kind of support.

nlnSilencenln

I just deleted my post as well. It looked as if I might have been talking to an imaginary post. Trust me Odin At this point I have no reservations concerning my purchase. I could never pass judgment on a product without actually using the item first. Sorry if my post came across the way it did but "my excitement level dropped a bit" does not translate to reservations for the purchase at all.

3 years ago I quit my full time job to run my own small business. I took every penny I had saved and jumped in head first and that literally scared the shit out of me. I know what it's like to build a brand/product/service from nothing and as well how important new customers and customer retention are. Some people (not all) have a hard time understanding how much money it takes to run a business day to day not to mention the money you NEED to invest to keep your product on top of the competition.

Last year I spent 120k on my business. Was I happy to do it? No, but that's what has to be done to keep you on top with your product brand/service. I guess what I'm getting at Oden is I understand your passion, pride and your commitment to your product, brand and customers. Just keep doing what your doing and always invest in your business and you will be sitting on that beach with a nice fruity drink before you know it.

JIM WALKER

I will consider myself chastised and I have deleted my post so that it does not alarm or upset anyone again ...

Upon reflection ... Odin, yes I except my chastisement, and yes, I take some of your comments personally, especially as they were a response to my now removed post, but as a forum I felt entitled to express myself, at no point did I insult anything or anyone, in fact, I am and always have been an avid supporter of the company and its products, (and I still am) especially your personal efforts and commitment, anyway, to prevent any further controversy or upset, I will withdraw my presence from the forum as my views are clearly disapproved of .....

odingalt

Staff member
I will consider myself chastised and I have deleted my post so that it does not alarm or upset anyone again ...

No, it's important that you guys have a channel for leaving all honest feedback - including the negative. If I don't get negative feedback then the product will never get better. And even if you can still do the same as macro I've obviously done a poor job with the user manual and videos in that it hasn't been communicated.

I already have ideas in my head on re-arranging that runepack editor screen. What needs to happen is to hide the least commonly used options (rather than having everything displayed at the beginning). Basically things need to be layered, you should be able to go in and just plunk down a bunch of runes quickly, if you want to get into the nuances of control of the groups that should be buried on a deeper layer yet.

odingalt

Staff member
Upon reflection ... Odin, yes I except my chastisement, and yes, I take some of your comments personally, especially as they were a response to my now removed post, but as a forum I felt entitled to express myself, at no point did I insult anything or anyone, in fact, I am and always have been an avid supporter of the company and its products, (and I still am) especially your personal efforts and commitment, anyway, to prevent any further controversy or upset, I will withdraw my presence from the forum as my views are clearly disapproved of .....

No, all feedback is important, that is why as a general rule I don't censor forum posts. I might be able to get in here and undelete :).

odingalt

Staff member
Jim I undeleted your post. My response was not aimed at you but just frustrations at the Berserker project in general. You are not the only customer that doesn't like the Berserker software comparing to the old macro software. I think everybody feels the same way. It's too early to tel if this is a case of just horrible design on my part, a case of customers resisting change, or maybe a little mixture of both.

You are in especially bad boat because of Viking Forge internet connectivity requirement. Taking for granted that so many gamers play on live. I don't have any budget to fix that right now but I have to think there is some way to have you run your own mini web server at home that would basically run a copy of the forge on it. For this summer I'm stuck waiting until this Christmas for holiday says so we can generate some cash that'll go straight back into the Berserker software again.

bonefisher

No, it's important that you guys have a channel for leaving all honest feedback - including the negative. If I don't get negative feedback then the product will never get better. And even if you can still do the same as macro I've obviously done a poor job with the user manual and videos in that it hasn't been communicated.

I already have ideas in my head on re-arranging that runepack editor screen. What needs to happen is to hide the least commonly used options (rather than having everything displayed at the beginning). Basically things need to be layered, you should be able to go in and just plunk down a bunch of runes quickly, if you want to get into the nuances of control of the groups that should be buried on a deeper layer yet.
Hey now I use everything!

odingalt

Staff member
I'm only human guys nobody is as good at taking negative feedback as they are at taking positive feedback, but I've said this before, all feedback has to live on in the forums, burying or censoring the bad doesn't do any good.

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

ModdingBros Representative
Jim you are well respected brother. Its like a family. We all fight and bicker sometimes but we make amends and go back to our lives. There is always going to be disputes in here but Dont let that feeling push u out of here.

I remember when me and GOD got into it in here and because of him I dident want to post here anymore. I learned that u can't take things too personal in here. Its like politics, there are going to be thrown downs lol. Your good in my book mate and Odin your like a mentor in some ways to me. I wouldent be where I'm at in the modding community if I never found viking! Let's squash this out! Respect!

odingalt

Staff member

Jim I hope you can see my post includes venting at customers in general, and some frustration at the Berserker project in general, all wrapped up into one post. I apologize for the pointy edged paragraphs in that post. When I saw Silence's post, I suddently felt compelled to defend the Berserker. I had this horrible image of just everybody landing on this forums, this thread, landing on the negative posts and then deciding against buying. I went on the defensive and wanted to point out the similarities and differences with the new project.

It's tough to run an open forums but at the same time also run a for profit business on the front end. Keeping the forums open means airing our negative feedback to the world, which is not something that many businesses do - simply because customers who google the business, today and forever, and land on this forum thread, only read the first post, get turned off and decide against buying. There's never a day that goes by that I don't consider shutting down the forums and only allowing customers to see the rosy 5-star reviews on our product pages.

It's the good hearted crew of guys like you that make me decide to keep the forums going. Without you guys I would have shut down the forums years ago. You make it an actual community here.

You are always entitled to express yourself!!!

odingalt

Staff member
So I tried this setup, way way too frustrating, having to turn on runes after every change, especially during gameplay is a no no for me ...

On this attached build, when you do a group scroll (up or down), instead of killing (shutting down) runes, it'll continue to play them.

[In this build. Be aware that while the group LED is blinking, the Berserker will not register and of your button presses (or releases) until the LED is done blinking. Berserker will continue to play or loop any runes you started up before you did a group change, but it won't start or stop looping any runes until after the LED has completed blinking, when it starts registering button presses again.]

ATTACHMENT REMOVED. NEWER FIRMWARE ISSUED.

Last edited:

bonefisher

N
On this attached build, when you do a group scroll (up or down), instead of killing (shutting down) runes, it'll continue to play them.

[In this build. Be aware that while the group LED is blinking, the Berserker will not register and of your button presses (or releases) until the LED is done blinking. Berserker will continue to play or loop any runes you started up before you did a group change, but it won't start or stop looping any runes until after the LED has completed blinking, when it starts registering button presses again.]
Not working!

odingalt

Staff member
N
Not working!

Any specifics? Any particular rune pack?

I'm starting out with GHOSTS TESTER pack. I am toggling as many mods on and off as I can find, scrolling through mods, changing pages, toggling and scrolling more mods, running and jumpshotting, etc. I can't see to get this one to cause errors. I've gone to the 4th rune in your jump/dropshot group on page 1 (the strafe) and run the strafe while changing groups and changing pages and toggling mods. I'm usually able to get to the bugginess pretty quick but I can't get this pack to give me grief, is there another pack I should test?

Last edited:

Bernard

Odin - when creating a new rune pack should the "Activate automatically" star be solid red by default? See attached screenshot..it is for me. Also, not sure if this is by design or if it's just me but once the star is selected it goes back to grey color and doesn't show solid red or red with white star in middle unless I hover over it with my mouse.

Attachments

• Viking_Forge_Packs_New.png
    Viking_Forge_Packs_New.png
    618.4 KB · Views: 5

odingalt

Staff member
When you hover over something in red it's supposed to bring up a "tool tip" i.e. when I hover over it says "Activate Automatically" and when I move my mouse away it goes back to grey. The way it's supposed to work is to click on it and move away what you should see is a black filled in star when you are done.

I can see how this is confusing, this was a UI style that the developer added to make it niftier but I can see now it also adds confusion. Let me know if this helped. Basically you just care if the star is filled in with black or filled in with grey when you move your mouse away.

odingalt

Staff member
Big bad memory leak discovered and solved. Added some additional self checks for memory leaks.

Attachments

• BETA-Berserker-Firmware-Update-Beta-5-18-2014-001.zip
    68 KB · Views: 12

Bernard

When you hover over something in red it's supposed to bring up a "tool tip" i.e. when I hover over it says "Activate Automatically" and when I move my mouse away it goes back to grey. The way it's supposed to work is to click on it and move away what you should see is a black filled in star when you are done.

I can see how this is confusing, this was a UI style that the developer added to make it niftier but I can see now it also adds confusion. Let me know if this helped. Basically you just care if the star is filled in with black or filled in with grey when you move your mouse away.

You probably just solved 80% of my rune pack problems. Thank you! That did it. :) I was hovering over the star and clicking it to make it solid red (not the black). For me the hover text no matter if it's activated or not says the same thing ("Activate automatically?"). In fact clicking on the star while hovering over it will change the inner star from solid red to solid white. But like you said once you are not hovering over the star / icon is when you'll notice the star becomes black.

Black star = on
Grey star = off