Super Street Fighter 4

odingalt

Staff member
Dude, award for the most creative use of the macro controller so far! This was a big reason we added all the new macro features. (Now of course we don't mean to anger you first-person-shooter fans - but we wanted to open up some features for those non-first-person-shooter-game fans)

Awesome, I'm glad someone finally posted something else here.
I have them uploaded to the Macro Library, but it's said awaiting moderation for quite some time now.

fairhavensand

Pyroman515,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you regarding the Street Fighter macros. That was a really cool use of the macro technology.

I'm not the greatest at the game and I was having a lot of trouble completing the trials for both Ryu and Ken; but your macro set made it a breeze.

Too, bad there's not some way to use this in versus matches... although it'd be a little cheap, there would be no way to lose ;) .

Thanks again for sharing.

fairhavensand

p.s
I'm trying to create a macro. The idea is that when I press the left control stick twice in quick succession my character starts to crouch and then quickly comes out of the crouching motion without having gone into the full knee bend crouch (this is not for Street Fighter, by the way. This is for Red Dead Redemption. I'm just looking for some tips). Every time I try to map this macro, no matter how I arrange the inputs, the character completely crouches, pauses, and then stands back up.

Any ideas?

Yeah, the issue is that the game won't let you do that. I was just playing it tonight with a friend and tried to teabag him (like in halo) but it won't work because the game stores the second stick click to stand up half a second after you've entered the crouch. So unfortunately, for Red Dead it's impossible.

As for competitive Street Fighter there are 2 issues. The first being a need for moves coming out from both sides. Pretty easy, just need to switch left/right dl/dr ul/ur, but I haven't really done any yet. The second being the precision needed. Pro players need to change their combo timings very slightly from where they hit their first attack, or even change the combo completely because some links may became impossible to do. These work in the trials because the A.I. is not moving and doesn't block the first hit, which allows me to time everything out from a consistent starting position. Obviously some would be very beneficial to do instantly (fireballs, uppercuts, command throws, super/ultra), and some of the smaller trials (usually 6-10) are definitely used frequently in higher level play, but the massive combos at the end of the characters trials require situations that are too perfect to ever occur in a live match, not to mention the damage scaling making the combo not worth the effort. I'm going to stop here because I could literally write a text book about the possibilities of macros in a live match, and the mechanics of high level play, but I think this post is long enough for now.
If you have any other question feel free to ask, and I finished Chun-Li's trials the other day, she's got some pretty cool ones.

mckelvey

Just guessing that these wont work for Street Fighter 4 right? I'm just assuming that the trials are different. I don't have Super SF4 right now and was wondering if you could give some advice on how to go about writting the same thing (trials) for the original SF4?

Some of them are the same, but they're organized differently, and I think some of the frame data might be different so the more complex combos may not connect properly.
(here I go with another novels worth of info)
First of all I'd like to say don't try to pick apart Ryu's first few trials because I started out using the d-pad which didn't work like I wanted it to (and I have no Idea why), use Ken's if you want to try to reverse engineer something (also this is where I did some research on frame data and made them more accurate).
With using the analog movement I assign the first movement to be approximately 1 frame long, and each movement to tween one frame after every other movement, and the ending held for 1 frame with start of the action pressed within the two dots. So a standard fireball would be:
D-D-DL-L-L with X Y or RB pressed between the two Ls.
I say approximately 1 frame because 1 frame is 1/60th of a second, and each tick on the timeline editor is 1/100th of a second, so there are 2 spaces (1/50th) before the next motion. I tend to make it hold down the action for 5/100ths of a second, but it can be programmed to hit relatively well with 2/100ths of a second, although this is unnecessary because there are no links that need to be faster then that aside from button mashing combos (Chun-Li's Lightning Legs), which I program them to have each action pressed for 3/100ths, and 2/100ths space in between them.
Links like c.MP - c.MP - c.HK (Ryu's 7 i think) I do by trials and error, I start by putting the actions close together (naming it Ryu07-1) then saving it with 1/10th greater spacing (Ryu07-2 and so on until 07-5) load them into the tac switches and try them out to see if one of them connects. Recall that if the motion doesn't come out then the button press is too soon, and if it's blocked then the button press was to late.
Feel free to pick apart mine, and use the video's if you need to determine which combo is associated with the corresponding macro.

mckelvey

Thanks for the quick reply and the info on the timeing, the fram information sepcially helps. Once I get the software onto a machine with a higher res so I can see the whole timeline (I only have a netbook near the xbox) and figure out where the random errors while editing the vk macro files I'm creating are coming from I'll give that a shot. I'm thinking of trying something a little easier to get into the edit mode though as the timing in SF is a bit finiky. Thanks again.

Yeah, sure, I'm still planning on doing them all, but haven't because I'm using the analog sticks for the motions and there are a few too many glitches to work through with the timeline editor with them to be efficient. Not to mention University taking up most of my time.

Pyroman515 said:
Yeah, sure, I'm still planning on doing them all, but haven't because I'm using the analog sticks for the motions and there are a few too many glitches to work through with the timeline editor with them to be efficient. Not to mention University taking up most of my time.

Well, I'll see what I can do. I'll try to do some of the easy ones first just to get a template of what I need. Then, I'll work on the big ones. I can't wait to try this on #24 of Abel, El Fuerte, Ibuki, and Makoto!

I tried copying and pasting, but that doesn't work. Is there an easier way?

Pyroman515 said:
Copying and Pasting what?

The motions, button presses, etc.

That's OK though. You've already given me what I needed from the Ryu, Ken, and Chun-Li Trials.

And you said Trial and Error is the best way to go with this?

Yeah, I usually space out the button press every 1/10th of a second to start, make 5 different Macros and assign them to tac switches. Then from there see which one gets blocked(too late) and which one doesn't show the last action(too early), then do the same thing in between those 2 markers.

Pyroman515 said:
Yeah, I usually space out the button press every 1/10th of a second to start, make 5 different Macros and assign them to tac switches. Then from there see which one gets blocked(too late) and which one doesn't show the last action(too early), then do the same thing in between those 2 markers.

Hey Pyroman515, I wanted to run something by you:

What if we worked on the harder trials instead of the easier ones? I know you're busy working on all of Honda, but most of the easier ones can be done using the other trials with a small change or two here and there(i.e. using Ryu 1's input and use a kick button can give you Cammy's Spiral Arrow or Abel's Roll). Also, most players can do the first 6-7 trials of each character real easy. They're just the special moves of each character.

Unfortunately I'm busy working on my calculus assignments, so I haven't had the time that I had before for macro creation. Also, charge moves are being a pain because of the analog stick glitches that are screwing up my inputs. Special moves are just as important in my opinion. If anyone wants to do any online play, having a one button near-instantaneous uppercut is very beneficial in clutch situations. Although I agree more people have more issues with the later trials, in my opinion, all should be done eventually. Even if it's the same input, they should be organized in different sections so people could download exactly what they need for their respective characters. On a side note, when the analog sticks are fixed, I'll work on it more because it'll be more efficient to create the macros without all the glitches I'm currently getting.

OMG i just read the post with the beta software and I can program the analogs properly now, priorities have be realigned: Calculus Assignment, Woman, SSFIV, Sleep, Family Time.

Pyroman515 said:
OMG i just read the post with the beta software and I can program the analogs properly now, priorities have be realigned: Calculus Assignment, Woman, SSFIV, Sleep, Family Time.

I downloaded the beta last night. Wow, what a difference! It helped me with Viper 21, Rufus 23, and Ibuki 22 and 24!

I'm still having difficulty with doing Focus Attacks, Focus Attack Dash Cancels (FADC) as well as timing jump-in attacks.

Is there some sort of fixed amount of frames used for a jump-in or a FADC?

FADC: yes, the tricky part is determining when to start the attack, but after that it's easy. Jump in time for an attack to the head is 0.5s after the start of the jump, but for a few of them you need to move the attack further down because you won't be able to chain the attack unless your air attack hits them in the midsection or legs. Chun-Li has one like that, but I can't remember which one.

Pyroman515 said:
FADC: yes, the tricky part is determining when to start the attack, but after that it's easy. Jump in time for an attack to the head is 0.5s after the start of the jump, but for a few of them you need to move the attack further down because you won't be able to chain the attack unless your air attack hits them in the midsection or legs. Chun-Li has one like that, but I can't remember which one.

OK, but I was working on Viper 24 today. I got most of it down, but after the EX Hammer, I can't seem to get the High Jump to work. Any ideas on that?