Interchangeable button/switch "blade" system for next gen video game controllers

odingalt

Staff member
Ok guys, our patent application was filed. Your guess is as good as mine as to whether we'll be issued a patent. This won't stop shops from stealing our great ideas, but at least if the patent is ever issued, we finally get credit for one of the inventions we've brought to this industry. We've been copied, duplicated, and ripped off for too many years, so we're going to start filing patent applications for future (and some past) inventions.

We are ready to pull the trigger on a short production run. However, we'd like to hear your comments before we go forth with production. There's still time to implement your ideas in the final product.

Introducing a prototype concept for your comment. This is an interchangeable button system that is installed on the bottom/backside of next gen video game controllers (namely XBOX One and PS4). The interchangeable member is called a "blade".

Features of the interchangeable blade system:
  • Fiberglass or plastic blade can be swapped out using nothing more than a phillips screwdriver
  • Will be sold as a DIY kit. Installation is 100% solderless and 100% glueless. No glue required, no soldering iron required!
  • Does not interfere with the battery pack cover
  • Does not interfere with XBOX One stereo headset adapter
  • Blade can be removed for blade-free play, if desired: mounting base does not interfere with regular finger positioning
  • Multiple blade configurations means that you are certain to find a blade that is right for your hand size and finger positioning
  • Interchangeable base is black anodized aluminum (photographs below show plastic white prototype interchangeable base)
  • Blades will be available in a variety of colors and materials
  • Low-profile blades sit up only 3.0-3.5mm from the normal back surface of the controller
  • Blades can add either 2 or 4 additional reprogrammable buttons on the back side of the gaming controller
  • The buttons ("tactile switches") are integrated into the blade itself. Buttons are rated for up to 1,000,000+ operations; in the unlikely event a button fails, just replace the blade and you are good to go. (No need to replace the whole controller or open up the controller to make repairs)
  • Blade can be nearly any configuration, shape, size, or material: "side by side" or "top and bottom" configurations, rubber cover for comfort or grip, plastic or acrylic cap to adjust height, plastic injection custom formed or molded blade parts, etc.
  • Will be offered with a variety of switch stiffness (from very soft/light switches, to very heavy/stiff switches, and everywhere inbetween)

IMG_20150424_205636_120.jpg IMG_20150424_205449_374.jpg IMG_20150424_205216_836.jpg IMG_20150424_204124_112.jpg

JIM WALKER

ODIN !!!!!!!!! THESE ARE GENIUS .........
I assume (perhaps wrongly), that existing berserker's will require an upgrade, (I would be keen to have it done), or is this system designed solely for new builds.
I truly believe you have resolved an issue that the industry is going to be very interested in, and to create it in such a way as to make it DIY is, well, genius !!!!!!!!!

bonefisher

If you can make it raised where the paddles on the old one's are to get that feel of tapping the top and bottom of the old one it would make it totally comfortable.........so these are traced to connect to the middle component? I'm ready to test!

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

ModdingBros Representative
Sickness Odin. That's thinking way outside the box!!! This has me excited.

So u say 2 to 4 reprogrammable buttons and it can be sold as a solderless kit set. Does this mean (in a kit) it will be a button remapper (like tournament legal) or will it be say a diy berserker chip and blade paddle setup?

I'm asumming its a easy snap on chip that sits on the MCU chip inside the Xbox one controller.

U have defenantly outdone yourself. I'm sure this will be a smashing success! Best of luck to ya and be dam sure I'll be picking these up for myself!!!

odingalt

Staff member
Only question I have is where is the pre-order page?

No pre-order page yet. In the recent past I have just "shoved" products at customers without feedback; this time I wanted to get a little feedback before we place our first short run production order.

I assume (perhaps wrongly), that existing berserker's will require an upgrade, (I would be keen to have it done), or is this system designed solely for new builds.

Unfortunately the interchangeable blade system will only be available for new builds :-(. We could try to find some way to do a swap or exchange, putting the old Berserker up for sale in the "Scratch and dent" section at a discount, and use those proceeds to go towards building a new replacement Berserker with the interchangeable blades. We can try to work this out on a case by case basis with you loyal customers who really want the upgrade.

If you can make it raised where the paddles on the old one's are to get that feel of tapping the top and bottom of the old one it would make it totally comfortable.........so these are traced to connect to the middle component? I'm ready to test!

The thought I had was to start with a "Barebones" flat fiberglass or carbon fiber piece, and then that piece could be "Built up" either by adding ergonomic rubber grips or by attacing CNC routed acrylic pieces. This makes it customizable in terms of height. Minimum height is around 3.5mm. Maximum height depends on how thick of acrylic or plastic you add to build it up. It doesn't have to be "2D", we can add shaped pieces too. I don't have it yet, but my plan was to come up with a blade that mimics the existing paddle switches (the two big acrylic CNC pieces with the Viking logo engraved on them). Basically we can use a CNC to cut some pieces, and then glue those pieces on the top of the fiberglass blade. The blades will be cheap enough that the DIY guys can order spare blades and further customize them. You could design and order up 3D-printed finger grips, just for you, and then use an epoxy to attach them to the basic blade. In the long run what I'd like to do is figure out how to set up some sort of template for 3D stuff so the DIY guys who can do 3D CAD can create their own grip systems for the blades.

So u say 2 to 4 reprogrammable buttons and it can be sold as a solderless kit set. Does this mean (in a kit) it will be a button remapper (like tournament legal) or will it be say a diy berserker chip and blade paddle setup?

Correct. The kit will be a "pro" / tournament legal, non-cheating kit. It will provide programmable remappable buttons, but all cheat code will be completely removed and absent from the kit. The kit will consist of a solderless modchip, a ribbon cable connector, an interchangeable blade switch base, a drill template, some small metric screws, a couple of blades for starters. For XBOX One, there will be an upgrade option to include an XBOX One guide button LED mod (to install a 10-color programmable rainbow LED under the XBOX One guide button). Yes the primary goal of this system is competition, Viking will be offering non-cheat stuff in the future. Either under the Viking brand or possibly at a second website.

I'm asumming its a easy snap on chip that sits on the MCU chip inside the Xbox one controller.

Yes it's our solderless modchip. The solderless modchip snaps onto the MCU on the inside of the XBOX One controller. You then drill some holes and install the interchangeable base. An easy ribbon cable connects from the modchip to the base. Then you just install the blade of your choice.

Last edited:

morinzo

Will there be a full beserker kit for those of us with the skills to install it? I enjoyed installing the old macro with 6 switches on mine & my friends controllers.

Looking forward to the preorder page.

Good Job!! I like this idea better than the old acrylic paddles..

Looking forward to seeing all the new order options and colors, Also why don't viking carry black buttons to black out a controller? Is the base price still going to be $249 ?

Also an adjustable trigger option on the full berserker would be nice so I dont have to order it from a competitor.

Last edited:

Drastic

So correct me if I'm wrong but with these reprogrammed awesome 2-4 buttons it'll only be on a legal tournament basis. For example, right now you can put what ever you want on the berserker TAC switches combos etc. This will just be one button remapping? Anyways! Always great to see you guys innovate!

morinzo

he said the legal kit would be a 100% solderless diy kit that you install at home, so i would imaging if you want the regular berserker you have to order a premade controller. But I hopw for a full berserker kit too.

Id say stick with the viking brand for the legal stuff too, less advertising & viking is known as a good product by those that use it.

Last edited:

Drastic

he said the legal kit would be a 100% solderless diy kit that you install at home, so i would imaging if you want the regular berserker you have to order a premade controller. But I hopw for a full berserker kit too.

Id say stick with the viking brand for the legal stuff too, less advertising & viking is known as a good product by those that use it.
Thanks for the help but that's not what I was asking lol I'll just wait for a staff member reply :)

bonefisher

How about wrap grip system that covers the whole controller with a split connecting to the switch base with built up area for the tac buttons? All rubber formed.......Things I'm just kicking out! Might be able to pull the whole rubber form over without splitting the switch base... seen it done.

Freyja

Staff member
As far as I understand these will be for Berserkers and when we come out with the remap chip (have one, just working out the kinks) they will be an option for those too. I don't want to steer you just wrong, but in 95+% sure that is what is going on.

modded matt

Drastic, The blade system will be available on new Berserker builds only. And Viking will be releasing a new non cheat controller that will also have the blade system.

Drastic

Drastic, The blade system will be available on new Berserker builds only. And Viking will be releasing a new non cheat controller that will also have the blade system.
I know about only new controllers that's not an issue thanks for reply! :) got my answer!

odingalt

Staff member
Will there be a full beserker kit for those of us with the skills to install it?

We want to bring more DIY stuff this year. We are seriously considering the Berserker as a DIY kit. The price would look outrageous for a modchip kit, it'd be more like buying a software license to the forge than buying a kit (the kit would come with the Forge lifetime access).

Also why don't viking carry black buttons to black out a controller?

Must be sold out currently. Been awhile since I checked stock levels and re-ordered plastic parts.

Is the base price still going to be $249 ?

Yes.

Also an adjustable trigger option on the full berserker would be nice so I dont have to order it from a competitor.

We'll have to tackle this as a separate project later, too busy to tackle it now.

So correct me if I'm wrong but with these reprogrammed awesome 2-4 buttons it'll only be on a legal tournament basis. For example, right now you can put what ever you want on the berserker TAC switches combos etc. This will just be one button remapping? Anyways! Always great to see you guys innovate!

We will be offering a new XBOX One controller and XBOX One DIY kit for competitive gaming. It will be different than the Berserker, it will have all cheats completely stripped and removed from the source code. The new pro/competition model will only be able to do button remapping, and nothing else.

How about wrap grip system that covers the whole controller with a split connecting to the switch base with built up area for the tac buttons? All rubber formed.......Things I'm just kicking out! Might be able to pull the whole rubber form over without splitting the switch base... seen it done.

I want to find out if there's a market for interchangeable paddle switches, before putting too much money into options. We'll be offering three different basic flat blades to start (in a variety of colors), and work our way from there.

odingalt

Staff member
To clarify, the same blade system will be available on new Berserkers, as well as on the new remap-only (no cheats) controller, with the goal of having it all available as DIY kits from now on. By this fall I'd like to have more DIY products for sale.

bonefisher

When is these new Berserkers available with the new Blades? Don't see anything posted on the site yet.....

morinzo

When is these new Berserkers available with the new Blades? Don't see anything posted on the site yet.....

That's what I was wondering, I'm ready to make the purchase now. I would like the DIY kit but don't want to wait til fall so I'll just grab a controller soon as they are available.

I will want all 3 of the paddle switches with it, do you know a price on extra paddles yet?

Last edited:

odingalt

Staff member

The "pro" remap kit will be about 2 weeks out, and Berserker will probably lag that by about a week. All the parts are on order, just need everything to arrive here at the shop so the team can assemble everything (and do final test to look for any surprises in the production pieces...). Unfortunately some of our stuff comes from China and they just had a holiday last week which slowed everything down.

I will want all 3 of the paddle switches with it, do you know a price on extra paddles yet?

We haven't decided on pricing yet. We will definitely have a discount for purchasing more than 1 blade at a time.