Interchangeable button/switch "blade" system for next gen video game controllers

modded matt

you know me. I want to add the blade to my old Berserker. (if there is a will, there is a way) Is the connector for the blade system on board the new clip on berserker chip? or is it a separate component?

odingalt

Staff member
Matt, you would need to do the following:

-Remove old tac switches/paddle switches and toss 'em
-Relocate the USB jack somewhere else; probably in the handle of the controller, in that nook between the handle and the mic port (the existing USB jack location interferes with the location of the new interchangeable blade base)
-Take the interchangeable receiver piece and desolder the flex ribbon cable header off it (you will have to manually install 4 wires to the place where the header used to be instead)
-"Double up" some wires on the Berserker (the four wires going from the Berserker to the LED indicator stay: you need to run 4 more wires in parallel with these, going to the blade receiver base)
-Modify the back shell (adding a slot and two screw holes), and screw in the receiver base, solder those four wires talked about in the point above

I think then you're be good to go. I was just walking through the process out loud, might've missed a few steps, and it'll make more sense when you're holding a kit. So yes I think this can be done but it's going to require some work (enough work that I can't offer an upgrade path for existing Berserker customers to upgrade to the new interchangeable blades).

Long story short, relocate USB jack, modify receiver piece so you can manually solder wires to it (instead of using flex ribbon connector), install receiver piece, install wires to to receiver piece, viola.

odingalt

Staff member
Parts are slowly trickling in. We received the black anodized aluminum base piece. It looks pretty good, I'm happy with how it turned out, and happy with how it functions. It needed to do these two things: not interfere with the battery pack being inserted, and not interfere with the XBOX One stereo headset adapter being inserted. Check, and check!

We are just waiting on some PCB's and also the blades to come in so we can assemble it all. So we're about halway through procurement and receiving. I am testing everything as it comes in and so far, so good, no show-stoppers. I am anxious to get this out to you guys so you can tell us what you don't like and what you do like.

JIM WALKER

Question for Odin ...... Will the new berserker (complete, not as a kit) be available via your UK agent, if so, what sort of delay before he gets them?

odingalt

Staff member
Question for Odin ...... Will the new berserker (complete, not as a kit) be available via your UK agent, if so, what sort of delay before he gets them?

Jim yes. We are working with a couple of gentlemen now. Since this kit is now solderless including the blade switches, the installation is much easier than before. If you are up for some fiddling, we could send you a kit directly to try when we have it ready? We could use the opinion.

morinzo

I'm down for a Full DIY Berserker Kit & a Full controller with extras.

We want to bring more DIY stuff this year. We are seriously considering the Berserker as a DIY kit. The price would look outrageous for a modchip kit, it'd be more like buying a software license to the forge than buying a kit (the kit would come with the Forge lifetime access).

The only reason I want a diy kit is so I can do a install guide and a video to post all over to try to get more people to see Viking. Hopefully I can avoid that high price since I would already have forge access & I'm helping spread the word about Viking.

Last edited:

odingalt

Staff member
Excited for this For sure. May I ask for a ETA for a up drake service as I have the older paddles.

(This was asked and answered above above). Unfortunately there is no upgrade for existing Berserker customers. The original Berserker modchips aren't forward-compatible with interchangeable blade switch system.

It's sort of like buying Iphone5. It's awesome, but then when Iphone6 comes out everyone wants Iphone6. But there's no taking your Iphone5 in and having them upgrade it to an Iphone6. With tech these days, and customers always demanding new/bigger/better/faster, the life expectancy of any given device is about 1 year before something better comes out.

When we designed the first-gen Berserker modchip, we didn't know we would be doing this interchangeable blade switch system. When we redesigned the second-gen Berserker modchip, we made it to accomodate add-ons/plug-ins like this.

dawgyownz

(This was asked and answered above above). Unfortunately there is no upgrade for existing Berserker customers. The original Berserker modchips aren't forward-compatible with interchangeable paddle switch system.

It's sort of like buying Iphone5. It's awesome, but then when Iphone6 comes out everyone wants Iphone6. But there's no taking your Iphone5 in and having them upgrade it to an Iphone6. With tech these days, and customers always demanding new/bigger/better/faster, the life expectancy of any given device is about 1 year before something better comes out.

When we designed the first-gen Berserker modchip, we didn't know we would be doing this interchangeable paddle switch system. When we redesigned the second-gen Berserker modchip, we made it to accomodate add-ons/plug-ins like this.
Okay thank you.

JIM WALKER

Jim yes. We are working with a couple of gentlemen now. Since this kit is now solderless including the paddle switches, the installation is much easier than before. If you are up for some fiddling, we could send you a kit directly to try when we have it ready? We could use the opinion.

I would very much like to receive a new kit, as soon as its ready of course, I will maintain a sharp eye on the Viking site and will order the moment it becomes available.
I asked btw, because I wasn't sure if you would dispatch to the UK. Thank you Odin.

odingalt

Staff member
Good news: All the parts arrived!

Bad news: One of the PCB's has some signals reversed, so it needs to be re-designed and re-ordered.

Good news: It's a cheap part to re-order.

Bad news: The re-designed part has got to come from China, so it will be another week, or week-and-a-half.

Good news: We can start assembling the blades now.

I really like these. Will post new pictures.

bonefisher

Hey that looks like my controller!lol........Looking good Odin! Liking how that one is set up with the buttons on top and bottom.