Interchangeable button/switch "blade" system for next gen video game controllers

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

ModdingBros Representative
Hey Odin, when u make your re- mapper kits I hope u can add LT, RT remap functions as well as d pad re-maps. I haven't seen anyone do a trigger remap yet. I.d.k if it would still classify it as tournament legal?, but I do know as long as u can't assign more than one button combo to a blade/tac it's classified as tournament legal. I feel this would separate your re-mapper further from competitors!

P.s. lookin absolutely sick! # game changer.

odingalt

Staff member
Hey Odin, when u make your re- mapper kits I hope u can add LT, RT remap functions as well as d pad re-maps. I haven't seen anyone do a trigger remap yet. I.d.k if it would still classify it as tournament legal?, but I do know as long as u can't assign more than one button combo to a blade/tac it's classified as tournament legal. I feel this would separate your re-mapper further from competitors!

P.s. lookin absolutely sick! # game changer.

Done and done :). Our remap chip can also remap the d-pads, left trigger, and right trigger.

I'm not familiar with competitions/tourneys, so any help or advice on how we can be sure that our controllers are legal/legit is welcome. The goal here is to also offer a more mainstream, non-cheating modded product.

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

ModdingBros Representative
I dug this up from the MLG site. It basically says as long as a controller isn't a turbo controller ( rapid button presses) or macro controller it can pass as tournament legal. So remappers are fine as long as u can't map more than one button/s to a single tac switch. I'll post the link below for your own view.

http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/competitions/91#event_193_rules

This is for cod aw tournaments but its basically the same rules for all games.

Drastic

Done and done :). Our remap chip can also remap the d-pads, left trigger, and right trigger.

I'm not familiar with competitions/tourneys, so any help or advice on how we can be sure that our controllers are legal/legit is welcome. The goal here is to also offer a more mainstream, non-cheating modded product.
thats great news i still would prefer the modded version, so i can't wait to send my controller in for a upgrade!

possibly buy both eventually but defiantly excited for a better alternative to paddles and two more tac like buttons to put macros on! brings me back to the 360 Macro days but it'll be a lot better! Berserker :D

Whitney

Hello, everyone! I don't know if this has been asked yet or not, but will there be a paddle switch kit for the PS4 as well? Like the same paddles that will be available for the Xbox One remappable tournament controllers on PS4 controllers? And what is the remap process for the controller?

odingalt

Staff member
Hello, everyone! I don't know if this has been asked yet or not, but will there be a paddle switch kit for the PS4 as well? Like the same paddles that will be available for the Xbox One remappable tournament controllers on PS4 controllers? And what is the remap process for the controller?

Yes. Unfortunately we developed for XBOX One first. I have a PS4 controller new-in-box sitting upstairs, it's purpose will be to donate itself for science. I will attempt to install this blade system on the PS4 controller and see how it goes. Best case scenario it works and we can sell the same blade system for both consoles.

Drastic

Either way its a nice upgrade compared to the original berserker that is currently the only thing I don't like about the Berserker compared to the 360 macro controller, not having four buttons to go crazy with on the Berserker is a small sacrifice, in theory it will make the berserker stand out even more! (Didnt think that was possible) Interested to see how that'll split the berserker customer base up on who trades up/buys new version with new blade system. Though I don't wanna get ahead of myself I'm sure Viking knows what their doing excited to hear more!

Last edited:

Freyja

Staff member
Matt,
From my understanding the blades with 4 back button capability have a way to "remap" the front two to buttons on the back. So you still have the front buttons, but they become null/the same as 2 of the back ones with the blades with 4. Hopefully that makes sense, my brain is running slowly this morning.

Do wait to see what Odin says for the final word, this was something we talked about a few weeks ago and he is the mastermind behind the system, I haven't been told of changes, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

odingalt

Staff member
Why are there 4 buttons when the berserker only has two on the bottom?

We are going to do some test installs first and play around with the new blade system and find out if it's something that people find comfortable/normally order. Then I will look carefully at what it costs us to install standard tac switches vs. the interchangeable blade system. I am almost leaning towards making the blade system the standard/default option for Berserkers, and eliminating the two switches on top (from the default option anyway). Then we would go back on and offer installing the two tac switches on top at an additional cost. Basically we would look at doing the opposite of what we're doing now (tac switches are the standard option, paddle switches are a paid upgrade).

I want to get some experience with these so I can't answer this question with 100% certainty right now. Where it gets weird is if a customer has the interchangeable blades, but then we plan on releasing a blade that's only 2 buttons, then they would end up needing those buttons on top of the Berserker for when they are using the blade with only 2 buttons.

What we are not planning on doing (at least not this year or any time soon) is offering any sort of "super berserker" that has extra functional buttons beyond 4. I mean it might end up with more than 4 buttons, but they would only operate as "tac #1, tac #2, tac #3, tac #4" in the software. The reason for this is we don't want to create a divide between Berserker customers with 4 buttons, and Berserker customers with more than 4 buttons. We want all the runepacks to stay compatible with any Berserker that is sold from our shop.

Anyway, still pondering on this one.

bonefisher

I want the chrome finish one! Myself would only want the all four buttons underneath unless you add it to six to use the top for on/off things.......

40_ounce

I really want a berserker with the new blade system.

Will there be an email sent out when this is available?

Odin is there an option to get the Xbox 1 controller with the blue handkerchief shell?

odingalt

Staff member
Kind of a random or off question, but was curious as to how much the patent cost you for this.

Don't know yet. The whole process takes years. It's just under $500 just to start the process, if you don't involve lawyers. If you hire lawyers, then it can easily cost $3,000 - $5,000 just to get started. The whole process can easily run $20k or more when done with lawyers. We'll take it as far as we possibly can before we get the lawyers involved.

The part where lawyers come in useful is the back-and-forth with the patent attorney that is assigned to review your application. You must recite relevant legal code or relevant case law to be able to communicate with the patent attorney. You need someone with experience. Either you're willing to put in tens or hundreds of hours of research on your own, or you hire a reputable and experienced intellectual property attorney to do this part.

There's no fixed cost or quote; you just open up your checkbook to the tune or $450 an hour. Your only options are to keep going at $450 an hour until you get a patent, are rejected, or until you choose to stop (until you've had enough :) ).

bonefisher

Ok Odin! You ask how much I play? Well have 2 Berserkers that I'm looking at with there tongues sticking out! Needing a new one..... When are you going to kick these new ones out?

bonefisher

bone, why do you have two with their tongues sticking out? Send them to me, lets get them back in action.
I'm seeing when these new xbox one controllers come out if I should just switch everything over to the new one. Yes I do need you to do that for me! I still need one of the new style Berserkers. Gotta get you one! Anyways got one working half way decent to tide me over for now. Come to find out that if you have to many led lights on one led causes issues for some reason so I knocked it down to one on at a time and my stick started working. More or less let the rune play which it was not with all the led's on.

odingalt

Staff member
Ok guys, these are the first production panels off the assembly line. The panel on the left is the I/O expander and the panel on the right are receiver base parts. Doing some final testing of the fit and orientation of the parts.

IMG_1817sq.jpg