New Controllers? How many old controllers left? Macro, legacy, prices, what to buy?

odingalt

Staff member
Show how about them new controller that where spose to be out after mw3, its been a month was the status?

Ragnarok Pre-release Preview.jpg

I received the latest revision of the XBOX360 Ragnarok modchip PCB's last weekend on Saturday. I hand-assembled a few for testing. Testing went well, so no more PCB revisions are needed. I ordered a stencil, which allows for machine-assisted hand-assembling, and started a short production of modchips for our first orders to get us through the holidays. Also while this work on the modchip PCB's has been going on, I have been finishing up on writing the firmware driver for the modchip, as well as finishing up the USB customization software for Windows (screenshot above). All-in-all, we're awfully close to launching this puppy.

I just need to get the test wiring harnesses disconnected from this frankenstein test controller that I have, so I can take it for a test drive on-line. :) I'll also have to work on the marketing and support materials - demonstration video for youtube, as well as instruction sheets. However, there are lots of instruction pages included within the customization software for Windows. Each feature has a "?" mark next to it which brings up its own instructions page describing that the mod is, how it works, what game it's designed for, etc. We've noticed that our instructions are not the greatest, meaning there has always been a bit of a learning curve of what the mod can and can't do in each game. These instructions should help put all the best answers into one place - the customization software.

The RGB thumbstick LED's work about as well as the programmable LED's on the macro controller. Meaning that the LED's will dim as your AA's run out of juice. The LED's work find with rechargeable play-and-charge packs, rechargeable AA's and alkaline AA's. We don't modify the play-and-charge port on this controller AT ALL, so the PnC port will function 100% stock with no problems. We didn't touch the PnC port for this mod. Instead, we drill a separate 1/4" hole on the back and install a 3.5mm jack for programming the modchip, and leave the PnC port untouched. (The macro controller required modification to the PnC port and we've seen complaints in the forums from people about charging their macro controllers).

The modchip has 14 different color modes for the LED's. Mode 0 is "Rainbow" mode, where the thumbsticks will roll through all the range of colors. Modes 1 through 13 are red, green, blue, yellow, purple, aqua, cyan, etc... Mode 14 is the custom thumbstick mode. Mode 14 is set from the windows customization software and allows you to set the left and right sticks as two different colors. You have direct access to the brightness levels for the red, green and blue LED's in each thumbstick. It takes some tinkering, but you can get quite a few different shades of colors out of the thumbsticks by dialing in a different mix of red-green-blue.

This modchip is actually plug-and-play in terms of hooking it up to your Windows PC. Meaning no more having to manually put the controller into bootloader/programming mode. Just put in some batteries, plug in the USB cable, and the modchip automatically goes right into programming mode. Pull the cable out, and the modchip immediately reboots itself and is ready for gameplay. This functionality makes it much easier to connect/disconnect from your computer when you want to edit settings.

Ok, like I said, just need to take this for a test drive and work on the marketing and support materials and we should be ready for launch. I'd like to start selling this thing on Monday 12/12/2011. I originally said 12/5/2011 but the PCB's arrived one week late from China, which means I'm one week late performing all the needed testing and last minute software changes. (Well, Originally I think I said I'd have this thing by October... then I said in time for the launch of MW3... "I really mean it this time" lol)

xKiLLa CaM

Useful Poster
^^^ sounds fantastic. so will these controllers support battery packs? because i usually just use battery packs that i charge with the play and charge kit instead of AA batteries. i know the ragnarok is mostly specifically for call of duty but this will work on battlefield 3 and other games similar that are shooters right? i like battlefield 3 so much more than mw3 and im gonna use rapidfire on that. and i noticed the fast reloads and the perfect reloads. the fast are for call of duty and the perfect are for gears 3 i am assuming?

anyway, glad to hear the great progress on everything. can't wait to buy whenever they go on sale this week. what kinds of customization do you think you'll have for these? i wasnt sure if you guys will have more things available later like you did with the tyr's hand (i saw new shells come out every so often) but i figure all the ones u have now will be available. and this has the same LED changer like the macro, as well as diff colored thumbsticks?

EDIT: nvm, read again and the answer to my LED questions were yes from what i read. sounds sweet odin. so glad i didn't buy from a diff company a while back and also that didnt buy a tyr's hand a few months back. these sounds sick and the software looks easy to use.

Last edited:

odingalt

Staff member
For the XBOX360 Ragnarok, we will be offering all the same customizations that you see on the VikingDigital.com site for Tyr's Hand. Although we may end up excluding the chrome shells, as they are hard to drill without causing flaking and damage to the shell. In addition we'll have the light-up thumbsticks. We've been buying more plastic parts from China and also trying to have a few different shell types sent in from a hydro-dipping company that's about 90 miles north of us. Macro controllers were seriously lacking on the customizability, so we are trying to solve that problem with all our non-macro controllers.

I am testing these with microsoft battery packs and energizer rechargeable AA's without problems. The only gripe I have is the LED thumbsticks vary with the battery charge, they are inconsistent.

I haven't tested this on Battlefield 3, but any rapidfire controller will work on BF3 (ours included) and as far as I know, no one has discovered any cool glitches we can program into the modchip specifically for BF3 yet. I haven't made any videos for BF3 because I've been so busy working on the software and PCB design. Plus, frankly, I think rapidfire for BF3 is really overrated and not very effective. None of my competition will tell you that, of course :-(.

xKiLLa CaM

Useful Poster
Oh ok, sounds good. Yeah I see where you're coming from on the BF3 thing. I really only was gonna use it for the pistols. Most guns can be put into single fire, burst fire, or automatic fire anyway so it was really just for pistols. I still have COD4 which I might start playing again and use the Ragnarok on there because MW3 has been ****ing me off lately. I loved it at first and now idk how I feel about it.

One last thing. I'm not lookin to spend too much more on this than I have too but I'll prob end up choosing just a diff shell and a diff LED color. I'm mainly looking for a controller that will last me a while and i was skeptical about the shell cases. I assume they work well and don't cause any problems with the joysticks or buttons or anything but I was curious on what you've experienced with them. Otherwise I'll just get a black one or w/e. Thanks again for all your info. I know all of us just pepper you left and right with questions but you guys here on this site really show the definition of customer service and support. I know I speak for everyone when I say we appreciate it.

dwayne_2010

when roughly is this going on sale because i need a new controller my rb wont press on my odins raven :'( :( and i dont wana buy a mcro then this come out like i did with the first one:/

HAWK zer0

Does anyone know when the DIY kits are gonna come out because I want to order one kit and 1 macro before Christmas so I can get it for the holidays?

odingalt

Staff member
XBOX360 Ragnarok will there be Drop shot and quick scope all so?

Yes and Yes. There are two different dropshot modes now. The first dropshot mode will always make your character drop to the ground when you fire your weapon. The other dropshot mode will only drop your character to the ground when you hip fire - if you scope first then fire, your character will not drop. This was suggested to me through the VikingDigital ticket system. This new dropshot mode is better if you want to be able to take shots from behind cover without having to drop.

Does anyone know when the DIY kits are gonna come out because I want to order one kit and 1 macro before Christmas so I can get it for the holidays?

Definitely this week. I am uploading the DIY kit instructions right now as we speak. My home internet is very slow and the hi-res .PDF file is 100 megabytes so it's taking awhile.
when roughly is this going on sale because i need a new controller my rb wont press on my odins raven :'( :( and i dont wana buy a mcro then this come out like i did with the first one:/

On sale as of early this morning :)

MJ23KB24

ModdingBros Leader
Hey Odin how much are those DIY kits going to cost? I might buy one and do my own type of controller and make that one look all cool and what not. Then I would be able to make speeds for that along with my macro.

Tx1000

Yes and Yes. There are two different dropshot modes now. The first dropshot mode will always make your character drop to the ground when you fire your weapon. The other dropshot mode will only drop your character to the ground when you hip fire - if you scope first then fire, your character will not drop. This was suggested to me through the VikingDigital ticket system. This new dropshot mode is better if you want to be able to take shots from behind cover without having to drop.

All right thanks. I need a new controller i have no controller any more. Just waiting fot the XBOX360 Ragnarok to go on sale for i can buy it :D

xKiLLa CaM

Useful Poster
The New 360 Ragnarok controllers have been on sale on VikingDigital since yesterday morning. I'm still waiting to purchase because odin said the stencil to asseble the LED board for the thumbsticks hasn't arrived yet or were arriving sometime today. He hasn't listed the option for them yet on the site (he said it'd be a separate dropdown box or a checkmark box. If you don't want the LEDs then you're free to buy right away but I'm waiting til he lists the option.

odingalt

Staff member
I ended up spending my time helping the shop employees by installing some of the first XBOX360 Ragnarok orders myself. Will have to try finding time to assemble the RGB LED thumbstick kits tomorrow night. Busy busy busy, hard to get a new product launched in the middle of the holiday shopping rush :)

xKiLLa CaM

Useful Poster
I ended up spending my time helping the shop employees by installing some of the first XBOX360 Ragnarok orders myself. Will have to try finding time to assemble the RGB LED thumbstick kits tomorrow night. Busy busy busy, hard to get a new product launched in the middle of the holiday shopping rush

it's no biggy dude, not in any rush, and i completely understand. it's always busy busy the last few weeks before christmas

odingalt

Staff member
Ok the stencil came in yesterday but I got tied up doing last-minute bug fixes to the XBOX360 ragnarok. Tonight I went down to the shop and assembled about 20 pairs of LED light-up thumbstick boards. But we are getting totally inundated with orders so I also spent time doing some installs. Now the problem is getting myself or my lead employee to break away from installs to list the LED thumbsticks on the site as somebody needs to do the graphic design work on it.

xKiLLa CaM

Useful Poster
Bug fixes and workin on those installs is more important man, I understand, it's a business and ur business is boomin right now lol. I'll be waitin for it man, I understand the time it can take and I don't even care if it isn't done til closer to Christmas. I have Christmas break starting next Thursday until January 18th so it's all good. I appreciate the updates Einar.

I am going to be using my debit card for the order since the billing and shipping have to match so then I can receive the controller while i'm at home where as when I was considering buying a Tyrs Hand a while ago, i would've had to wait until I came back home from college or buy a visa gift card that I didn't want to have to do.

Durro

I am still trying to find my way around here. I am about to order the new Xbox Ragnarok controller. Is there, or will there be a section on this forum for that controller? It seems like it is only in this one post. Secondly, is there an area for the custom fire times that people list? (I see that the other controllers seem to have an area on the forums where owners can go to get the custom settings they can use on the computer program.) I also am VERY interested in the quickscoping feature. Otherwise, I would probably just buy a regular rapid fire controller, or none at all. My question is, how well does the quickscope feature work? And how does it work? Can you asign any button to be used to quickscope, or are you FORCED to quickscope every time, and not able to regular scope if the feature is on? (Obviously, I have NO experience with modded controllers, lol) And more importantly, is there just ONE timing for the quickscope feature? Some sniper rifles scope in faster than others in MW3, and if you use quickdraw, the timing is even more different. How is this handled with the QS feature? Can you adjust it at all in the program?

NYjetsNY1

I am still trying to find my way around here. I am about to order the new Xbox Ragnarok controller. Is there, or will there be a section on this forum for that controller? It seems like it is only in this one post. Secondly, is there an area for the custom fire times that people list? (I see that the other controllers seem to have an area on the forums where owners can go to get the custom settings they can use on the computer program.) I also am VERY interested in the quickscoping feature. Otherwise, I would probably just buy a regular rapid fire controller, or none at all. My question is, how well does the quickscope feature work? And how does it work? Can you asign any button to be used to quickscope, or are you FORCED to quickscope every time, and not able to regular scope if the feature is on? (Obviously, I have NO experience with modded controllers, lol) And more importantly, is there just ONE timing for the quickscope feature? Some sniper rifles scope in faster than others in MW3, and if you use quickdraw, the timing is even more different. How is this handled with the QS feature? Can you adjust it at all in the program?

With the macro controller, you can do this all with the quickscope. You can do whatever you want for quickscoping on the macro controller.

I haven't been educated too much on the ragnarok yet - I have yet to been able to speak with odingalt on this. I'll let him answer these specific questions for the ragnarok. But, for the macro controller - quickscoping can be assigned to any tac - or RT/LT. You can turn it on/off with a tac as well for the macro controller.

I can't tell you yet for the rag - again, odingalt should be able to tell you.

There will be a section on this forum for that controller once I speak with odingalt this weekend and he gives me the A-OK to build some new forums / rearrange. Odingalt and I have a ton of stuff to go through lol.

xKiLLa CaM

Useful Poster

The way the PS3 Ragnarok works is that the right thumbstick (on the 360 it would be the same I'm assuming) is wired up to engage the quickscope mode. To toggle it on and off you hold the mod switch on the back of the controller and then click the thumbstick. Now what I think is that each time you go to shoot with a sniper it automatically will quickscope for you and I'm pretty sure that can't be changed. The instruction sheets for the 360 Ragnarok have not been posted on VikingDigital's site yet under the support tab but you can see the ones for the PS3 and I'm assuming they are going to be fairly similar. I'm not sure about you're other questions. These controllers aren't designed just for MW3, but for ALL Call of Duty games and it even works on many other shooters. I assume this means no matter what sniper you have it should work because this mode is designed to work across all CoD games (CoD4, WaW, MW2, Black Ops, MW3). I was curious to a few of the questions you asked as well so maybe odin will be able to answer them when he's on later.

Last edited:

odingalt

Staff member
QuickScope timing is not adjustable at this time, but that is a good feature request for future driver updates? I though QuickScope starting working like crap in Black Ops and worked better in MW2 and I haven't even bothered trying in MW3 though I think it works better like back in MW2. Must depend on which game engine is used?